Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday -"Hey, it's good to be back home again..."

Travel is wonderful. Seeing family - fabulous. Driving 9 1/2 hours to get home--not so great. But so nice to be back. I overbooked myself, though. I have way too much going on with doctor appointments, Sugartime rehearsals and gig dates, saying goodbye to a good friend who is moving to Viet Nam for a year, yada yada yada. When I do get some free, unallotted time, I'm too tired to think, let alone write. I am learning to be okay with what is, however.

I've spent most of my life fighting the tide, rather than flowing with it. Today I am rolling in with the wave and flowing out with it as well. Wherever it takes me. I just have to stay afloat.

How about you?
Blessings,
karen


16 comments:

Siv Maria said...

Home sweet home my friend, I agree. Go grab your award from me :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good attitude! It's much more exhausting to continuously flail our arms and legs just to keep our heads above water than it is to simply relax, float, and go with the flow.

Karen Walker said...

On my way, Siv - thank you in advance.
Susan, yup yup yup
karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A wonderful attitude Karen, relax and be happy.

Yvonne,

L.G.Smith said...

Ride with the tide. Some days it beats paddling. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. probably better to busy when you get back than otherwise! Still it always takes a while to settle back in .. and a nine and half hour drive is no mean distance either - sapping too. Keep well and happy! Cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Hey Yvonne, I'm learning I can choose my attitude. It's not always easy.
L.G. Isn't that a Carly Simon song lyric - ride with the tide, go with the flow - now what song is that from?
Anyone?
Hilary, yeah, but I need my downtime - I'm getting it today, though, until we sing tonight at 7:15 pm.
Karen

Talli Roland said...

Welcome home! :)

I need to learn to go with the flow, too. I really do!

Karen Walker said...

Hey Talli, yeah, it's a hard lesson to learn
Karen

Michelle Fayard said...

I always like the arriving back home part the best; Marcelo and I miss our kitties and orchard too much to stay away for very long. :)

I used to think that if I didn’t push hard, I wasn’t working. I’m slowly learning that going with the flow gets more done that always trying to swim upstream through the strongest currents.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not much for those long car drives either...

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like a long drive! Glad you're home safely. Yes, I think I need to learn to go with the flow!

GigglesandGuns said...

Glad you're home and had a fun time.
Sometimes going with the flow is just so darn hard. *sigh*

Karen Walker said...

Michelle, that's the hardest part for me -understanding that I don't have to push so hard anymore.
Alex, I like them with lots of stops, but this time, we were so anxious to get home.
Elizabeth, thanks. And I think we all need to learn to go with the flow.
Gigglesandguns, yup, it is hard.
Karen

Jules said...

Welcome home to blogville! Now just lay your head back and float, NO you will not sink!

Just roll with it, don't want to grow moss do you? :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Pk Hrezo said...

Let it roll, baby, roll. Glad you had a nice time and are safely back. :)
Blessings back to you.