Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Talli Roland launch: Who would I want to be?

I've wanted to be anyone but myself most of my life, so this is a tough question. When I was growing up, it was Elizabeth Taylor. When I was a teenager, it was Stevie Nicks. Actually, I'd kill to have her voice. Since I'm singing now, let's go with singers: either Stevie Nicks, Barbra Streisand, or if I really want to be outrageous, Cher.

This is in support of Tali's new book,   Watching Willow Watts, launching today. Go check her out: http://talliroland.blogspot.com/ She's an awesome woman and a fabulous writer.


For Willow Watts, life has settled into a predictably dull routine: days behind the counter at her father's antique shop and nights watching TV, as the pension-aged residents of Britain's Ugliest Village bed down for yet another early night. But everything changes when a YouTube video of Willow's epically embarrassing Marilyn Monroe impersonation gets millions of hits after a viewer spots Marilyn's ghostly image in a frame.

Instantly, Willow's town is overrun with fans flocking to see the 'new Marilyn'. Egged on by the villagers -- whose shops and businesses are cashing in -- Willow embraces her new identity, dying her hair platinum and ramming herself full of cakes to achieve Marilyn's legendary curves.

But when a former flame returns seeking the old Willow, Willow must decide: can she risk her stardom and her village's newfound fortune on love, or is being Marilyn her ticket to happiness?
Buy a copy of Willow on  on Amazon.com for $2.99. Paperback coming in November!


Blessings,
Karen

28 comments:

Enid Wilson said...

That's a very daring photo of Cher! Now I'm imagining you in that outfit.

Every Savage Can Reproduce

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Stevie Nicks is a good choice. Glad you're not Cher though.

Karen Walker said...

Enid, I would never in a million years wear an outfit like Cher's - but I love how she's not afraid to be outrageous.
Alex, me too
karen

Creepy Query Girl said...

All really great picks- strong women with amazing voices!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I love your choices.....even Cher.

Yvonne.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Great choices! All women with strong voices.

Lynn said...

Stevie Nicks is amazing. Actually they are all great choices!

Karen Walker said...

CreepyQueryGirl, I love strong women with strong voices. I wasn't one for a long time - I'm working on it
Yvonne, thanks
Elizabeth, Lynn, they are
Karen

GigglesandGuns said...

Okay so your group will be wearing that Cher outfit at your nest concert? ;o]

Joanne said...

Stevie gets my vote for you. She's such a unique artist. Rock on today, Karen!

Karen Walker said...

Ah, Mary, I don't think so.....
Joanne, thanks, I love Stevie
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I guess I'm not too surprised that you'd choose a singer.


Lee
Tossing It Out

LR said...

I almost took Stevie Nicks. Love her. ;)

Suze said...

I *love* that photo of Stevie Nicks. She is just wonderful.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I'm sure Elizabeth Taylor captured most our hearts growing up .. but your singers - yes they're certainly individual and have great voices .. enjoy their music .. SugarTime is definitely up there ..

Cheers .. Hilary

Siv Maria said...

hey you cheated, lol...only one :) I had a hard time choosing too. Stevie Nicks is an all time favorite of mine as well.

Susan Fields said...

You've chosen some amazing women! I'd love to sing like Cher, but I could never wear that outfit. :)

Jessica Bell said...

Love your choices! Tally thought I might choose Stevie Nicks :o) But didn't. xoxo

K.C. Woolf said...

I remember Cher's outfit in that clip. :-)

Stevie Nicks is a great choice too! :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Elizabeth Taylor was a beautiful woman but I'd not want her life, or any of the singers you mentioned. Now, I love to sing and I've been in a few bands in me pre-mom days, so while my voice is good, it's not on par with these girls mentioned. To have that kind of voice...wow.

Enjoyed your post, Karen!

I'm just popping by to give some support to the talli blog fest. As you know, my blog isn't conducive to participating in this. But I did give my answer on Talli's post.

Sia McKye's Thoughts...OVER COFFEE

Talli Roland said...

I hear you, Karen. I've spent most of my life wishing I could be anyone but me, too. Oh how I would have loved to have been Stevie Nicks!

Thank you so much for taking part. I really appreciate it! xx

Julie said...

I love all of your choices, especially Stevie Nicks. She does have the most amazing voice! I can relate to wanting to be someone else for most of your life as well, I'm finally getting over that. It was fun to do it for today though, this launch party has been a blast. :)

Karen Walker said...

Lee, wish I could sing like these gals
LR,Suze, Stevie's awesome
Hilary, thanks, but Sugartime isn't in this league, not even close
Siv, ooh, I did cheat, didn't I?
Susan, I could never wear it either - i didn't even wear bikinis when I was young and thin
Sia, my voice is not even on the same planet as these women - just love to sing
Tali, it's fun and you are very welcome
Julie, it has been fun
Karen

Alleged Author said...

All very powerful women! Great choices. :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi karen,

Great ladies... all of them, well except one. I had a few uncomfortable encounters with Cher when I worked with her so she is not my favorite person.

However I LOVE your other choices.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I used to love Stevie Nicks. I wanted her wardrobe.

Ann said...

Isn't that Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time," outfit???

Love all of your choices. Wonderful talented women...like yourself.

Isn't this a great Launch party! I

Jen Chandler said...

Talented choices :D If I had to choose one of them, I think I'd go with Stevie Nicks!

Hope all is well!
Jen