Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Overwhelm

Tomorrow my group, Sugartime, sings at the State Fair. On a big stage, probably not for that many people, though, since it's mid-week and Senior Day. But it's a big deal for us. Then we sing at a retirement community on Thursday, another one on Friday, and two on Saturday. You can imagine how many rehearsals we are doing.  A lot of energy has gone into making Sugartime what it is and doing what we do. I'm exhausted. That's my truth. I love it and I'm tired. I will have from 9/17 to 9/24 to recover -- no rehearsals, no gigs. Just time to re-group and get ready for our three-week vacation to Greece and Turkey.

What do you do when you get overwhelmed? Power through. Stop and take a break? Ignore it?
Blessings,
Karen

20 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Power through until it stops and then flake out for days on end! :o)

Joanne said...

I'm a list maker. I'll stop, make a list and prioritize. What a great week ahead for you, enjoy :)

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Jessica, I did that when I was your age, too. It worked back then!!
Joanne, me, too. I have lists broken down for each day
Karen

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I usually pick whatever has to be done most urgently, or matters the most to me, and give that all my energy first.

Lynn said...

Congratulations on all the gigs! I power through but leave a lot behind in the dust--literally. The housework can always be done later.

Karen Walker said...

Paul, yeah, me, too.
Lynn, what's housework?
Karen

Suze said...

Wow! You're going to Greece and Turkey?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. enjoy all the dates with Sugartime .. that's wonderful - what are they going to do when you're not around?

Well I know what I'm doing .. jumping on a plane with my little suitcase, magic fairy dusting myself into little me and popping myself into you back back (just don't step on me in the plane!!) and coming with you to Turkey and Greeze ... ooooh Mediterranean food, lovely vino .. Turkish coffee - baklava .. what more could we want .. ????!!!

Enjoy the anticipation and all the "to dos on the list" - have fun:Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Suze, yeah, I know. I am a very lucky lady.
Hilary, sure, hop onto the backpack - would love having a Hilary fairy along.
karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Good luck with your singing, most enjoyable post.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're big time, Karen!
I play my guitar. Or watch a couple movies.

Mama Zen said...

All of the above! Then, I have chocolate.

Jennifer Shirk said...

When I get overwhelmed, I usually snap at somebody (truth Tuesday), then feel guilty, then apologize, then eventually talk it through with the hubby or my mom until I feel calm again. :)

Bish Denham said...

I throw myself down on the floor, kick my legs and scream, then get up and act like nothing happened.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, thank you, my dear
Alex, it's just a big stage, not big time, lol
Mama Zen, ah, chocolate - can't eat it when I'm singing, sigh!
Jennifer, isn't truth Tuesday fun???
Bish, made me laugh out loud.
Karen

Bob Sanchez said...

When I get overwhelmed, I have to walk away for a while. Then I give it some thought and then come back.

Linda Hoye said...

I usually power through until I end up a weeping mess. I'm still trying to learn to step back when I need to. Wishing you a time of refreshing soon.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a fun but crazy busy schedule!

When I get overwhelmed, I tend to shut down - read and watch a favourite movie. That usually helps :)

Manzanita said...

Heavy schedule. I'm right there with you. When our flamenco troupe was together, we had a demanding schedule. Unwind and enjoy your fabulous vacation. You've earned it.
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

I've found that I really have to take a break. Even if it's just for a few hours where I can rest, peace and quiet, a bath, a book, coffee. All the best to you with all the singing! Hope your voice holds out.