Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Planning for a trip

Traveling is getting harder and harder the older I get. I am becoming set in my ways. I like to eat my own food when I want to eat it. I like my daily routine. When I'm tired, I can rest or pick up a good book. Yet there is still a gypsy in me that wants to see and hear and do so much. This past New Year's, when I did my yearly exercise of writing out my lifetime goals, then my three year goals, and then what I'd want to do if I knew I only had six months to live, going to Greece and Turkey appeared on that list. It surprised me. But I chose to listen and hubs and I are taking a three-week holiday to those wonderful countries.

As I make all the necessary arrangements, house sitter, newspaper, mail, making sure we have all our medications, making sure our family has our itinerary, yada yada, I realize that I am so very privileged to be able to do this. I'm trying not to feel guilty, because I know other people are struggling so financially. Like so many other things in life, planning for a trip is both exciting and scary. Don't those two emotions almost always go hand in hand. It's learning to balance them both that is challenging.

When we go, I am not going to commit to finding computers wherever we go, so I will be on a lengthy blogcation. That is scary, because I've worked hard to build a following here. But life must go on and I must live my life as best I can as it works for me. And when I go to Greece and Turkey, I really want to BE in Greece and Turkey, and not in bloggydom.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

KarenG said...

I get a lot of anxiety before traveling for the same reasons. I like my routine! But then I am always glad when I go, it's just wonderful to get out of the old rut.

If I were going to Greece and Turkey I certainly would let the online activities go as well. You've been here long enough now that people will pop right back to welcome you home when you return to your blog.

Jules said...

A trip like that deserves your undivided attention, go green, no blogging! :)

And from someone who can't afford it... it sure makes me smile knowing someone can. (Not that I fly anyway):D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. that is just wonderful - brilliant news .. and you will have the most glorious time.

Definitely no connection .. we might actually be here when you get back ... we're so stick in the muds!!

Have fun, enjoy, don't do anything I wouldn't do, take loads of photos, come back with lots of information ... brilliant - got room in your back pack for little me?!

I shall be thinking of you both having the times of your life - you definitely deserve a lot of joy and happiness ... cheers for now - go pack (not too much!) .. Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Karen, don't feel guilty! You know we'll wait for your return and all the great stories you'll relate from your travels.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I love planning to travel and the actual travelling however I do get a wee bit anxious on the day waiting for the taxi wondering "Am I Doing The Right Thing?" but once on my way all is well.

Yvonne.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I enjoy *being* somewhere new, but don't enjoy the planning or packing! Hope you'll have a wonderful trip. :)

Karen Walker said...

KarenG, glad to know I'm not alone in my anxieties.
Jules, I used to love flying - now, not so much.
Hilary, one friend has already offered to be our official "photographer."
Alex, can you teach me how to not feel guilty?
Yvonne, yeah, me, too
Elizabeth, thanks much
Karen

Dafeenah said...

OH that sounds wonderful!! I would love to visit Greece. We'll all be here when you get back just make sure to bring some moussaka and baklava back in your suitcase. Blogcations are good. We all need them from time to time and those are your true followers will always be here.

Christine Rains said...

That sounds awesome! Don't worry about finding a computer. Enjoy yourself. Let the gypsy in you run free.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Oh Karen, you are going to have a delightful time! Forget the Internet - enjoy the beauty of what's in front of you. And take pictures, of course!

Karen Walker said...

Dafeenah, I so need a vacation, blogcation whatever I want to call it. Away from everyone and everything.
Christine, it's settled - no computers
Diane, I got a camera just for me.
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

You will so enjoy them both, amazing locations, plus you will get so much material for blog entries :) and do not worry about us! The true followers will be waiting :) Safe travel!

Creepy Query Girl said...

what a wonderful thing for you and your husband to be able to do at this time in your lives! Congrats and don't feel guilty! Enjoy! Glad to have found your blog:) New follower here

Arlee Bird said...

I'm fine travelling in the U.S., especially if I'm driving. I don't know so much about being out of the country. I've never left North America and don't have all that much of a desire to do so unless money were absolutely not a concern with me.

Have a great time and don't worry about your blog. Your readers will all still be here when you return. Vacations can be good.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, I can't wait.
Hello CreepyQueryGirl - welcome and thanks for the visit and the comment. And I'm getting over the guilt very quickly thanks to all of you.
Lee, I love traveling - it's just getting harder as I get older, that's all. That's why we're trying to do all these "big" trips now, while we still can.
Karen

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Sounds wonderful! I am an incredible homebody. I imagine going wonderful places, but then I never really want to go. But THEN when I DO go, I have a fabulous time. It's like I won't jump - you have to push me, but then I fly really well. It's the weirdest thing. I think after your busy year and your book promotion, a break is in order. I'm already looking forward to mine after the New Year!Have a fantabulous time. And we expect pictures when you return!

Ann Best said...

Wow! Greece and Turkey. Forget the computer and go. Enjoy!!! See you when you get back--with all your photographs!!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Oh, how exciting! I hope you have the adventure of a lifetime, and don't worry about your followers. We'll still be here, holding down the fort, when you get back. Bon voyage!

Jessica Bell said...

Can't wait to meet you!!! :o)