Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, October 21, 2011

Greece

Hi everyone,
 Library at Ephesus
It's so nice to be home. Traveling is a magical, wonderful experience, but it's always so good to be back in one's own bed. We began our 3-week adventure in Athens with a two-hour delay in landing because of an air traffic controller slow down. I was determined not to let anything interfere with my enjoyment of the country, and I succeeded. Well, except for a few little hissy fits here and there.

Day one of our cruise
We had one day in Athens before boarding the Louis Majesty cruise ship for a 4-nite sailing around the Greek Islands. One of the highlights of the cruise was a stop at Ephesus, considered to be the best preserved Roman ruin. We were lucky to revisit Ephesus again during our Turkey  tour. At right are the remains of the library. Our guide told us that there was a tunnel from the library to the house of pleasure - hence the term, I'm going to the library."



At our next stop, Patmos, hubby and I had the best pizza ever (and I come from New York!!) with a lovely glass of white wine, sitting on a beach looking out at the Aegean Sea. So romantic.

More Monday....







Blessings,
Karen

29 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Welcome home, Karen! I love these pictures! So glad it was a wonderful trip. :)

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. The trip was magical.
Karen

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, welcome home. The photos are beautiful. It sounds like it was a fun trip. Looking forward to more about the adventure.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress
Freelance Editing By Mason

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen welcome back .. well maybe not! Greece and Turkey have so much to offer .. and by the sound of it you weren't too inconvenienced by the strikes over the Euro etc.

It looks like you were enjoying yourselves and just taking things in .. I'd love to the library - either frankly! But Ephesus .. must be on my list when I can get back to Greece/Turkey.

Looking forward to Monday - enjoy the weekend... Hilary

KarenG said...

You look very happy and relaxed in these pictures! And that pizza looks amazing. It sounds like you had such a wonderful trip. I'm only a wee bit jealous.

Joanne said...

What a wonderful vacation. I like that pizza pic ... and can see a little bit of the New Yorker in you in your pose. Good times, looking forward to seeing more!

Suze said...

That was kind of a teaser! I'm wondering what toppings you ate on your pizza ... one looks like mushroom?

You look beautiful, relaxed and happy in the photos, K.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Look at you enjoying yourself! Glad you took the trip, Karen.

Claudia Moser said...

Happy you had a great holiday, hope you still feel relaxed!

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, I left little pieces of my heart in both countries. I will probably go back some day.
KarenG, I'd be jealous, too.
Joanne, what about the pose says NY?
Suze, good eyes - it was mushrooms on one side (for me) and meat on the other (for hubs). I was relaxed - it was one of the highlights of the trip - just being with my hubby in such a beautiful setting.
Alex, I'm a slow learner, but I'm learning to enjoy myself, trust me.
Claudia, I'm still so jet-lagged I can't tell if I'm relaxed.
And still recovering from a sinus infection I got 3 days before we left Turkey. That's a funny story I'll share later
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Oh, wow, what a great time you must have had. I would go nuts in Greece. I love all the mythology and history.
My brother has been there and he says it is his favorite place to travel to.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, aren't cruises wonderful?

Karen Walker said...

L.G. I love the mythology and history as well, which is why I've always wanted to go there.
Diane, yes!
Karen

Jules said...

Since I share my bed with 3 dogs just finding space for me is a chore but WELCOME home. :)

To answer your question, the year was 1958. Also I'm 1/2 way through your book (told you I read slow) and OMG do we have a lot in common.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jacqueline Howett said...

Great photos!

Greece is great. I'm half Greek, so I have relatives there amidst the grapes, olives, drinking retsina with goat cheece and bread. I use to go every year as a kid and then in my teens and twenties I lived there for a while.

And then I passed through it again at forty before settling in America.

Yes, you look so relaxed and it brought back memories.

Thanks for sharing.

Karen Walker said...

Hi Jules, would love to meet you and your dogs some day. Sorry we share stuff. If you're only halfway thru, it's not the good part of my life we share.
Jaqueline , how lucky for you you got to visit Greece as you grew up. It's lovely.
Karen

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Oh...those are lovely! I hope you are going to share more. :)

Karen Walker said...

Yup, Sharon, I am. My posts will be all about our trip over the next few weeks.
Karen

Glynis said...

So thrilled you had a good time and are home safe and sound. Greece would have given you a little insight to how I live in Cyprus.

I do agree home is home. Mind you the pizza is worth travelling for I am certain! :)

Karen Walker said...

Wish we could have visited Cyprus as well on this trip - if your life is like it is on Greece, it must be lovely.
Karen

Glynis said...

It is a good life, Karen. Very relaxed. We have made sacrifices to live like this, but it is worth it. Jessica Bell lives in Athens, not sure if you know her (author).

Glynis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karen Walker said...

I actually got to meet Jessica when we were in Athens. It was lovely
Karen

Glynis said...

Jealous! How wonderful!

K.C. Woolf said...

Interesting times to be in Greece! :-)

Your holiday sounds wonderful, and you look so happy eating that pizza. It must have been delicious indeed. :-)

Ann Best said...

Beautiful photographs out of, I'm sure, hundreds of photographs. How awesome for you to be able to tour such a great place. Such wonderful memories for you! So glad to see you safely back and posting about your trip!!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Shelly's Garden said...

Karen, Thank you for stopping by my blog! I can't believe anyone actually read my blog!! It's exciting!! Following the Whispers sounds like a good read! Maybe this winter! Also, I have always thought someone should write a book on aging! You go girl!

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Welcome back. Those pictures are fantastic.

Joanne said...

It's all in the attitude ... You've got a bit of the confident NY 'tude in your stance and expression.