Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, October 28, 2011

Olympia and the Delphi Oracle




Temple of Hera
The original Olympic stadium
Did you know the Olympics began in 776 BC? I didn't. I also didn't know that the ceremony began with a Priestess doing a ritual at the Temple of Hera. The flame was lit. It represented peace. That was the message the Olympics was trying to convey. At the end of the games, the Priestess did another ritual to close the proceedings.
The altar where the flame rested

Apollo's Temple at Delphia
Site where prophecy was delivered to one who asked
One of the things I most wanted to see on this trip was the site of the Oracle at Delphi. In ancient times, kings, as well as civilians, would travel to the Oracle to receive answers to questions in their lives. I'd always assumed a Priestess was the one who foresaw the prophecies, but we learned it was the God, Apollo, who prophecies. He would then transmit the information to a Priestess, who told the Priest, who communicated it to the one who asked the question. Ancient telephone.

We concluded our land tour of Greece with a visit to Meteora. Monks built monasteries atop magnificent rock formations. The icons and frescoes were spectacular, but unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photographs inside the monasteries. Here are a few shots of the monasteries, though.

Last, but not least, on our last night in Athens, I was lucky enough to meet author and fellow blogger, Jessica Bell http://thealliterativeallomorph.blogspot.com/. Jess is stunningly beautiful and, as I found out during the one hour we had together, she's as lovely inside as she is on the outside.

Jess and me at the rooftop bar of our hotel
That's all for now. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Stay tuned for Monday Musings - and some thoughts on the wonders of Turkey.
Blessings,
Karen





22 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

You learn something new every day.
I didn't know about the early date of the Olympics. I am looking forward to the next whenof course they will be in London and the sailing just 30 miles along the coast from me.
A most enjoyable post Karen.

Enjoy your week-end.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You got to meet Jessica! That is really awesome. Did she sing for you? Because she has a really amazing voice as well.

Jessica Bell said...

That photo of us turned out really well! I had such a lovely time meeting you. I will hold it close to my heart forever, Karen. Really I will :o) XOXO

Jules said...

Wow, maybe I should learn to fly so I can ask this Oracle a question. :)
Jessica is a sweat heart!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, you will enjoy it, I know.
Alex, I wanted her to sing, but she's very shy about it. I've heard her trailer. She's amazing.
Jess, yes, me, too. I wish we'd had more time.
Jules, I don't think you have to go to these sacred sites to ask important questions. I'll email you the message I received there.
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Great pics. I have a half-finished novel set in ancient Greece that I may pick up again one day. In part, it was about the Olympics in 336 BC. I'd love to visit Greece some day. So amazing.

Karen Walker said...

That's one I'd love to read - hope you finish it someday.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Can you imagine how they built those monasteries up there?

Joanne said...

Wow, it's a whole different world. Sure doesn't look like anything outside my window. I love the idea of going to a place to find answers to life questions. Fascinating, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, since they didn't have cranes, I have no idea.
Joanne, doesn't look like anything outside of my window either.
Karen

Belle said...

I've never seen photos of the place of the Oracle. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh how very cool you got to meet Jessica too!
Sounds like a great trip!

Karen Walker said...

Belle, I'd never seen photos either. You're welcome.
Jennifer, it was very cool, indeed.
Karen

CHULALA said...

whole different
world. doesn't look like
anything near my country :(
love the idea of going to a place to
find answers to life queriez ,I've never seen photos of the
place of the Oracle.
bdw come thru my blog some time and if u like what u see well *wink*

http://chuchu-chulala.blogspot.com

CHULALA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna Shields said...

Beautiful pics. Learned something new today.

I have awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award. Stop by and pick it up :)

http://donna-realworldwriting.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-halloween-and-award-to-pass-along.html

K.C. Woolf said...

Beautiful pictures!

Hey Jessica! :-) *wave*

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

So interesting! And I must say, you look really pretty with the red hair.

Laila Knight said...

That is amazing! Oh, so that's what oracles look like. That takes me back to a world in my dreams. Thanks for sharing. :)

Karen Walker said...

KC, thanks,
Melissa, thanks - I'm loving being a redhead.
Laila, you're so welcome.
Karen

Lynda Renham said...

Hi

Thanks for a lovely blog. I was directed here by Jess's (Jessica Bell)
Lovely to connect. Do check mine out and hopefully we can connect through them. Much love
Lynda

http://lrcook.wordpress.com/

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. another lovely run amongst those ancient ruins - you certainly seemed to manage to see the places on your list as such. The history is just wonderful isn't it - I did know about the Olympic history .. but always good to re-read it .. and we'll be Olympicced out (if there's such a word?!) here this time next year ..

Wonderful pictures and how lovely having a chance to spend time with Jess - not long enough I'm sure .. but other visits to follow anon ..

You two look like great buddies - fun time .. thanks Karen - cheers Hilary