Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday Musings: Being a writer

If you would ask 100 writers what being a writer means to them, you would get 100 different responses. True, there are some things that are the same for all of us. We each have ideas. We each put those ideas down on paper in our own way. We each agonize over those words. Okay, some of us agonize. Some probably don't, but I don't want to even know those people. We each hope in some secret part of our soul that our words will be read by others, hopefully in a published version.

To me, being a writer means I think about things in a different way than most of the people I know. I move through the world in a different way. My perspective is usually different than most. I used to feel other-worldly, like an alien from another planet. Now, I am embracing my uniqueness. Even if I am not writing any new words on my current projects, I know that I am a writer because, without writing, my world doesn't make sense.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

To me it means learning how to reach people through story. It's all about studying everything in the world as a story and understanding how different feelings can be set off by such simple things as a word, the touch of a hand, a song, or a familiar smell.

Bish Denham said...

I hear you about feeling different. I know for a fact that I cannot speak as clearly as I can write.

Karen Walker said...

Paul, I love what you wrote here. Thank you.
Bish, neither can I.
Karen

Joanne said...

To me, much of writing is similar to taking photographs. Writing amounts to taking a whole scene and narrowing down that aperture to focus on the details. It's all about seeing life through a different, changing perspective.

GigglesandGuns said...

So much thought on a Monday.
For me, writing is a way to entertain others and myself. The agony is worth it when someone acknowledges an effect.

DL Hammons said...

For me, I write to express myself in a way I'm otherwise unable to do. When writing I feel like I'm on the same footing as everyone else...its the real world where I'm an outsider. :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

To me writing is away of expressing myself to others (hopefully).Each poem I write I am feeling different in mood or emotion.

Yvonne

Karen Walker said...

Joanne, I love the way you see writing.
GigglesandGuns, so true, the agony is so worth it when we connect with someone else with our words.
DL, I kinda feel that way, too
Yvonne, your poems do so reflect your moods and emotions so well.
Karen

KarenG said...

To quote my sister who I honored recently in a blog post: "Writers write." So that's what I try to remember, that I need to keep writing!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

HA! I can relate to what you said about not wanting to know those writers who don't agonize over the words. Because the right word, the right cadence, the right syntax ... they all matter so much. How can anyone just spit it out "just so" without making any effort?

It's kinda nice that some of you, like me, find it easier to express yourself in writing than in conversation. (No darned "delete" button there!)

Karen Walker said...

KarenG, that's true, writer's write. But what I'm realizing is that I'm still a writer, even if my words aren't getting onto the page right now.
Susan, yeah, it's nice to know we're not alone, isn't it?
Karen

Pearson Report said...

Me?

I'm still waiting for the mothership to come back and pick me up.

But, on a serious note...I wonder if deep down each of us feels what you feel, just on different levels and about different things.

Different is the operative word here! We are all different - but that's a good thing!

Smiles and Happy Thoughts,
Jenny

PEARSON REPORT

Jules said...

To me writing is an extension of art color cannot paint.

Sorry for being tardy, I've been knee deep in colorful leaves. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow