Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Musings - entering the new tech age

Well, I finally did it. On Friday, as part of helping Jessica Bell day, I posted on my blog about purchasing Jess's debut novel, String Bridge. When I went to do my part on Amazon and purchase the book, there, right in front of my eyes, were the adds for the different types of  Kindles. Well, I'd wanted to purchase Talli Rolland's book, which was only available on Kindle right now and I've been on the fence about e-readers for a long time, and if I signed up for the Amazon credit card, I got $40 off my purchase. Soooo, I bought a Kindle Touch and Jessica's book. And ordered Talli's book. So, I'm now part of the e-reader revolution.

I'm not ready to give up my paper books yet. I'll let you know how I feel reading books on a screen after I get it and read a few.

Also, on Friday, I got some insights into why the words aren't coming for my novel and it makes sense. There might be a change occurring with how I've structured it so far. So, another lesson in learning to trust this process I'm in.

What are you musing about today?
Blessings,
Karen

22 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

That's so wonderful, Karen! If you're anything like me, you're only going to read books on your Kindle when they aren't available in paperback. The Kindle is cool. And it's kinda fun playing around with it when you first get it, but the novelty wears off. I still prefer a paperback over it any day. But I'm very glad I do have the Kindle. It means I can send myself word docs to read on there with ease. And I can also purchase books that aren't available in print. So it's definitely worth having. :o) Thank you so much for your support last week!!!

GigglesandGuns said...

Welcome aboard, Karen! This weekend alone I bought a book and ordered two and then put three on my Kindle.
love both. Strange but I'd rather have magazines in my hand.
Enjoy and have a great week.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A $10 book purchase turned into a $100+ ereader purchase? Funny how those things happen.

Joanne said...

I think you'll love the Kindle. I have a Nook eReader, and read eBooks more than traditional. Plus, now you can borrow library books on eReaders, too, which is nice. And the browsing capabilities are great, well, I could go on and on. I'm pro-eReaders :)

Karen Walker said...

Jess, it was a blast helping you!
GigglesandGuns, I'm afraid I'm going to still love both books and magazines in paper, but we'll see
Diane, yeah, isn't that the truth?
Joanne, we'll see.....
Karen

Talli Roland said...

Yay! Thank you so much, Karen - I'm thrilled to be a part of your e-revolution! Thanks loads for all your support.

DL Hammons said...

Welcome to the technologically advanced! Don't worry, I haven't given up my hardbacks...especially for my favorites! :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Oh, good for you! I'm asking for a Kindle for Christmas. Even though I'm feeling a little intimidated at the prospect of owning one, there are sooooo many books I want to read that are only available in e-versions.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Welcome to the world of the eReader! Warning, you may never go back...

Pearson Report said...

Ahh, the excitement of changing technology - the never ending learning curve.

I am still a page turner, but I am looking at my electronic options also.

For me, a frequent user of the library, I am toying with the Kobo brand, as this is the brand that will let me access e-books directly from the library.

That being said, I know there are lots of great extras with a Kindle...choices, choices...I'm in research mode (which in my case could take some time!!).

Cheers, Jenny

PEARSON REPORT

PS - I left you a reply to your comment on Icing on Sibling Cake.

Karen Walker said...

Talli, I'm waiting till I receive my Kindle to order your books. Can't wait.
DL, I suspect I won't either
Susan, I told hubs I was getting myself an early XMAS present.
Alex, we'll see...
Jenny, from what I understand, I can get books from the library on this Kindle version (the Kindle Touch)
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

I was perfectly content not to have an e-reader until I started meeting so many great writers on line. Like you, I want to read their books, and so many of them are only available as e-books, so I've got to get an e-reader pronto!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oooh cool!! I read off my IPad but I still want a Kindle. :-)
Congrats!

Liz Fichera said...

Congrats on your e-reader!! You will LOVE it. Mine goes with me everywhere, like an appendage. :)

Karen Walker said...

LG, that's why I bit the bullet.
Jennifer, hmmm, I think I'd rather have the iPad, but it was way too expensive.
Liz, I hope so.
Karen

Ann Best said...

Ooooh, Karen. I'm so glad you got your eReader. I was always "old-fashioned" too, but I'm now a believer in eBooks, especially since I can now afford to buy more of them than I ever could the printed books. I think you'll love it.

I just put up a novella-length ghost-written memoir that I titled Imprisoned (about a Russian friend of mine) on Smashwords, and also on Kindle. Kindle is pending. I'm just so excited that I got them up--all by myself. I had a young friend do the cover. In a few days I'll announce it on my blog. You're the first one I've told!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Jules said...

Well I can't welcome you because I'm still a dinosaur. But if it makes you happy... I'm all for it. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Tracy Jo said...

Congrats on the Kindle! I wanted to buy Talli's book too and decided just to download Kindle on my laptop. I haven't tried it out yet but should be interesting. Keep us updated on what you think of the Kindle Touch!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

To be honest I have never thought of buying a Kindle, but who knows perhaps one day,

Yvonne.

Elizabeth said...

Very nice blog.

NEW FOLLOWER.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Glynis said...

I am enjoying my Kindle. DH surprised me with it for my birthday. I never thought I would convert. Istill have a pile of paperbacks to read for days I feel the need to remember what they feel like.

Anonymous said...

Gοoԁ wеb site yоu've got here.. It's diffiсult tο find excellent wгіting like
yours nowaԁays. I truly aрpгecіate ρeοple like you!
Take care!!

Have a look at my website :: toyalert.com