Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday Musings

Hello everyone,
hiking at Tent Rocks
Well, company is gone, Thanksgiving is over, it's time to get back to normal, whatever that is. All I know is that I am in some kind of transformational state. My reactions and responses are different--whereas before I might fly off the handle, now, I am aware of an intense emotional feeling but am not letting it loose. Here's what it feels like. All my life, I felt as if I were hiking a steep trail up a cliff with no guard rail, filled with jagged rocks and other hazards. Needed to be hyper-vigilant to feel safe. Now, it feels as if I am on a flat trail, no rocks or other hazards, no cliff.
park behind our home - early morning


Here are a few photos from my Thanksgiving break.


How about you? Are you walking a hazardous trail or one where you feel safe?


me and Clara at Tent Rocks

Hubs, me, Dennis and Clara - Tent Rocks

Tent Rocks State Park

Battleship Rock - Jemez Mountains


With many blessings and much gratitude,
Karen

14 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Wonderful photos, Karen! I feel like I'm walking on a narrow path with steep drops on either side... and I'm exhausted.

Thank goodness I have a break coming up soon.

Arlee Bird said...

What great pictures. Now I see where your analogy came from.
My journey has become rockier and less uncertain. I may be having to reach out to let my wife steady me on the path for a little while. I hope the trail doesn't get too steep as I don't have the kind of stamina that I had when I was younger.
Glad to hear that the way has smoothed out for you.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Enjoy my delightful interview with Susan Kane on
Wrote By Rote Saturday 11/26

Vicki Rocho said...

Nice analogy. I'm on an almost flat trail which is lovely and scenic -- with the occasional turn in the path that passes perilously close to a sheer cliff/drop off. Mostly safe but it pays to stay alert...

Glynis said...

Wow, fab pics. What a great place to wander and enjoy nature.

Joanne said...

I'm a walker and love all sorts of trails, from through the woods to city sidewalks to abstract life trails. I'm so enjoying my life trail right now, finding the twists and turns to be thrilling me every step of the way.

Karen Walker said...

Talli, I hope it smooths out soon.
Lee, my hubby has done that for me so many times, I can't count - good luck
Vicki, even on a flat trail, we must stay awake!
Glynis, yes, it's quite beautiful there
Joanne, how lovely
karen

Stephen Tremp said...

Awesome pictures. I love to hike. Its a great way to unwind and gain inspiration.

Bish Denham said...

What an absolutely fabulous place to go hiking! As for the road I'm on, the scenery is breath-taking and the way is as safe as anything in life can be.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Cool pics!!

I'm on an easy trail right now. Thank goodness!

Glad u had a nice Thanksgiving!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There may be a hiding rattlesnake, but otherwise my trail seems safe!
Great photos. Cool place to hike.

Karen Walker said...

Stephen, thanks - yes, it's a wonderful place to hike
Bish, love that, as safe as anything can be - so true
Jennifer, so glad for you
Alex, the rattlesnakes are hibernating!!!
Karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Awesome photo's Karen, wonderful memories to look back on.

Yvonne.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Awesome photo's Karen, wonderful memories to look back on.

Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. what an appropriately named park .. love the photos and so pleased you're feeling on an even keel - that must be wonderful.

Cheers - Hilary