Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday - Adapting

When you get to be 62 years old, you hopefully learn a few things as you move through this journey called life. One of the thing I'm learning is to adapt. In fact, as I learn to incorporate meditation into my daily routine, my mantra is Adapt/let go. In the past, I had difficulty adapting. If things didn't go they way I wanted or expected, it threw me so off kilter, I couldn't get back. Then I learned to get back, but it was kicking and screaming all the way. Now, as soon as something doesn't go quite right, I shift my thinking, which shifts my feelings, which shifts my reacting to adapting. Isn't that cool?

But that's not all. Once you adapt, there is one more step. Letting go. You can't hold onto the way you wanted or expected things to be. You have to let go.  And in letting go, that is where the inner peace comes.

So, my dear friends, this is one more lesson in my journey towards inner peace. Adapt....let go....adapt....let go....adapt....let go.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

21 comments:

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Absolutely. It's such an important step to understand the things you can control and the things you can't. Then to change the things you can to better yourself, while allowing the things you can't change to carry on.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not much for changes, but I've had to learn. Letting go is a little easier, as I tend to just forget!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I have never been wonderful at adapting (I'm very routine-oriented), but I've tried very hard the last couple of years to be more flexible. Thanks for this reminder, Karen!

Karen Walker said...

Ah, Paul, the serenity prayer - yes yes yes
Alex, you're a lucky man!
Elizabeth, the rigidity and control were keeping me very tense.
Karen

DL Hammons said...

I'm a pretty flexible guy, usually not one to raise a fuss. But even though adapation comes naturally to me, there are people who will take advantage of that and try to impose their will during situations. Going with the flow is the easiest path, but there are also times when a little push back is necessary. :)

KarenG said...

What a wonderful message, Karen. I've had to learn this too. As a result one of my most used expressions is "oh well." My dad used to say "It'll all work out." When I was young that frustrated me. How did he know it would all work out? But it does!

Pearson Report said...

For many years now I equate life, and the living of it, to being in a swimming pool - the only thing I think about is the next stroke and paying attention to my surroundings and my goal - in doing so, I am too busy to fret and stress about the others, in the pool with me, as they master their own strokes.

I only interrupt my forward movement when I see a fellow swimmer flounder or go under...

It was a hard lesson that got me to this point; once I realized the only life I can live, with any measure of certainty, was my own the letting go and adapting came without difficulty.

Excellent post Karen.

Happy thoughts,Jenny

PEARSON REPORT

Better is Possible said...

Do I ever get this. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Karen Walker said...

DL, so true, so true
KarenG, thanks
Jenny, that's powerful.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So many things I've had to adapt to this past month. Some things I'm ready to let go of and others may take some time.

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

I will keep repeating these words of wisdom!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, grief is a whole other thing. Just breathe.
Mary, thank you.
Karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I had to learn to "Accept) when I was widowed, then I had to learn to adapt to my new way of life.
I hope if hubby and mother are up there looking down they like what they see,

Yvonne.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Growing older may not be for sissies, but there's a lot of good things to be said for it, too. Like being able to put things into perspective, being able to see the "big picture", and being about to realize and appreciate the various terrains we have to travel through life. Making it through the rough patches and over the worst mountains enables us to appreciate the more idyllic parts of life, and yes, accepting that life will present us with both gives us inner peace.

Talli Roland said...

I'm not very good at letting it go. Not good at all. Sigh. I'm trying to get better!

Glynis said...

I adapt but find it hard to let go. I have to take stock every now and then and focus. Yet still I cannot let go of certain things in my life.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, I hope so, too.
Susan, beautifully said
Talli, you're much younger - just wait!
Glynis, me, too,it's a hard hard thing to learn
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I like to get my own way, but I'm pretty good at adapting. This probably comes from having brothers and sisters and moving around a lot. I'll vocalize my wants when it seems like I have a platform where I'll be persuasive, but I'll also go along with what others want if that seems the way to keep the peace in the best way and doesn't put me out too much.

Lee

jan said...

I hope you're reading Pema Chodron (When Things Are Falling Apart)about letting go and Julia Cameron (The Artist's Way)about overcoming obstacles to creativity. I,too, learned to meditate later in life and I'm so much healthier because of it. Thanks for this post.

Karen Walker said...

Arlee, I get that way of being
Jan, I have read both of those books - thank you
Karen

Julia Hones said...

Thank you for the wise words. Sometimes all we can do is to accept what we cannot change. And then, we let go. We cannot change everything, no matter how hard we try, but we do need inner peace to keep moving on with grace...