Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday - impact of travel

I'm going to take a break from posting pics from our trip and talk a bit about what this trip meant to me. I feel so blessed that my hubby and I are healthy enough and financially stable enough to make a trip like this. It wasn't always that way. In fact, this is the first trip I was not either vastly overweight or injured in some way. That meant I could walk as much as I needed to and was able to see everything I wanted to see--and more. I am so grateful.

When I was at the Oracle of Delphi, I received a message that I don't need to travel to far away places to find wisdom. Everything I need is right inside me. It validated what I'd already come to on my spiritual journey. You reach a certain point on the journey where you begin to trust your feelings, your instincts, your sense of right and wrong, your impressions of others, etc. It's not always easy.

Tomorrow I am facing the possibility of having to hurt someone because I have to make some decisions that are for my own good that will impact this person. It is very difficult when one's own needs conflict with the desires of someone we care about. But I have learned that to ignore what is good for me in order to please someone else, doesn't really work for either party.

Travel opens me up by allowing me to connect with the past as well as with other people and other cultures. It shows me that we are really all connected. There are more similarities than there are differences. If only we could find those commonalities rather than focusing on what sets us apart. I am equally at home in a synagogue, church, mosque, or out in nature practicing an Earth-based religion.

How does travel impact you?

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

stfrisco said...

When my wife and I spent a month in
Taos five years ago, we found other people, and ourselves, uncommonly open and communicative. We could not believe there was something in the air that made everybody different, and we determined to carry that part of our personality back to Canada with us. It worked for a while. Even our friends noticed we were different. We think that receptivity to others could go on forever if we continued to focus on what was unique about everybody we met, but it takes a concerted effort to remember how special everybody is. And that is no more important than with the people who share our most intimate space.

Karen Walker said...

stfrisco, thank you for your visit and for this very thoughtful comment. It is so so true.
Karen

Michelle Fayard said...

My husband majored in Roman history, and through his collection of library books I have many times imagined myself actually standing before the Oracle of Delphi. To know you had such an incredible experience gave me shivers.

Karen Walker said...

It gave me shivers, too, Michelle
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes it's good to know when to say no, for the benefit of all!
I like to travel. I don't like traveling to the travel destination, but it's great once I arrive. Just something about the opportunity to expand one's mind that is just too cool.

Belle said...

Like you, I have found people are actually one family. It is the leaders of nations that cause most of the problems and wars between us.

KarenG said...

I've never gone far on my travels but I enjoy getting away because it seems to get the cobwebs out of my brain and cleanses my system.

And reading this post, Karen, I believe you have found the topic of your next memoir!

L.G.Smith said...

The experience of seeing new places and trying new things is exciting. It's stimulating. For writers in particular, I think we need to travel and see new things to ignite new sectors of our imaginations. And it doesn't necessarily need to be to the other side of the planet. Any new place will do, at least for me. :)

Arlee Bird said...

I'm a big fan of traveling throughout the United States and Canada. I don't like flying too much, but I love to drive. I equate rolling across an open countryside to freedom. It's an exhilarating experience for me.

Now if all my flights and accommodations were first class and money were no object I might rethink international travel.

Lee
Tossing It Out

K.C. Woolf said...

Sometimes it helps to travel to see what we already have and know in a new perspective.

I tend to alternate: there are times in my life when I travel a lot (there's another one of those coming up), and then months or years when I stay closer to home. It's almost like a natural cycle.

Thanks for this post. It gave me food for thought again.