Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday - a review of House of Diamonds by Karen Jones Gowen


House of Diamonds, by Karen Jones Gowen...a review
Usually, a novel has one protagonist the reader can focus on. You follow their journey step by step, wondering what they will do, what will happen to them. You can’t wait to turn the page to find out.
In Karen Gowen’s novel, House of Diamonds, it felt like there were four: Marcie, the mother of seven who secretly yearns to be a writer; Cindy, her sister, whose baby has a brain tumor; Baby Jordan, who has the brain tumor, and the Mormon Faith, which did, indeed, seem like a character in and of itself.
On the surface, it’s a story about a family and its every day travails. As an only child, I was fascinated by the details of what a day in the life of a family with seven children is like. It’s also a story about love and loss and death and grief and above all, Faith.
Gowen masterfully draws us into this family dynamic, showing us the internal and external struggles of both Marcie and Cindy, both as siblings and as individual women and as moms. It is heartwarming and poignant. 

To learn more about about Karen Jones Gowen and to purchase her novel, please visit: http://karenjonesgowen.blogspot.com/

Preorder print book House of Diamonds from the publisher's website and get Uncut Diamonds for free! 


Links: House of Diamonds for the Kindle   House of Diamonds for the Nook   

Summary:
In this sequel to Gowen’s debut novel, Uncut Diamonds, she follows sisters Cindy and Marcie as they reach a crossroads in their lives. House of Diamonds tells the story of two women, one facing opportunity the other tragedy. Can their bond endure?
Marcie pursues her dream of becoming a published writer while Cindy faces a terrible tragedy. In this gripping story of faith, loss and the transcending nature of sacrifice, Gowen gives voice to a beloved baby who has none. She shows the incredible power that comes to families when they pull together to overcome challenges. It is at these times that a house of pain can become a house of diamonds.

Website: karenjonesgowen.com
Blog:      Coming Down the Mountain: A Writer's Blog


The lovely Karen Jones Gowen
Here is some background information on Karen:

Born and raised in central Illinois, the daughter of a Methodist minister from Indiana and a school teacher from Nebraska, Karen has down-to-earth Midwestern roots.

She attended Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, then transferred to the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. After converting to Mormonism at the age of 20, she transferred to Brigham Young University in Provo, UT, where she met her future husband. She obtained her degree at BYU in English and American Literature.

Karen and Bruce have lived in Utah, Illinois, California and Washington, currently residing near Salt Lake City. They are the parents of ten children. Not surprisingly, family relationships are a recurring theme in Karen's writing. 



Blessings,
Karen




31 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Read and loved! Karen is a fantastic writer. :o)

Manzanita said...

Karen, An excellent review on "Uncut Diamonds."

Joanne said...

I always like a family drama. There's something about the family dynamics that is so interesting to follow.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A wonderful review, a book I will put on my list to get.

Yvonne.

GigglesandGuns said...

Enjoyed the review.

Karen is just awesome, isn't she?

Clarissa Draper said...

What a great review. I just loved the book as well.

Karen Walker said...

Yes, this blogging community of writers is not only loving and supportive. They are a talented bunch as well. That makes writing reviews fairly easy.
Karen

Old Kitty said...

Awwww yay for lovely KarenG!!! Thanks for the amazing review other Karen! :-)

Take care
x

Jess said...

Hooray for KarenG!

Talli Roland said...

Read it, loved it! Wonderful novel. Thanks for the review, Karen!

KarenG said...

Karen, Thank you so much for reviewing House of Diamonds! I really like your perception of it and how you saw the Mormon faith almost as a character itself, because I didn't really plan it that way! But being a member myself of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, I suppose my spirituality comes out in my writing whether intentionally or not, because I write from my heart.

KarenG said...

P.S. Glad your telling the truth Tuesday wasn't that you hated it LOL.

Karen Walker said...

Karen, yes, that is exactly how I experienced reading your novel - from your heart. And LOL, there's no way I could have hated this book.
Karen

Inger said...

I have become so fond of Karen and I'm planning to get at least one of her books for Christmas. I had decided on her first one. This is a great review and now I know I will get these two at some point in time.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great review for Karen! And her comment about you hating it was funny.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks everyone for the comments on this review, but all the credit goes to KarenG. And she is so deserving.
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

I've got to read this! I wish I didn't know so many talented writers. I've got a stack of novels I need to catch up on. Nice problem to have, right?

Ann Best said...

You are a fantastic writer, too, Karen W, as evidenced by this wonderful review of an excellent book by Karen G!! :o)
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Imprisoned

Arlee Bird said...

Interesting perspective on the novel. I like stories where the lives of characters converge into a final meaning. Interesting how you've considered the Mormon faith as a character but I know what you're saying. I've read many books where one might consider an entity like a faith or a place to be a personality that influences the other characters in the story.
I wish Karen G a great deal of success with her novel.

Lee
Best selling author Lani Diane Rich visits
Tossing It Out
Wednesday November 16th.

Donna Shields said...

Great review. Can't wait to read it.

Karen Walker said...

L.G., Yes, I know. There are so many and not enough time.
Ann, you're a sweetheart - thank you!
Arlee, yes, I find that interesting as well
Donna, thanks
karen

Ann Best said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

I just read your review on Talli Roland's blog. I just bought it on kindle. Looking forward to reading it.

Amie Borst said...

sounds like wonderful books! thanks for sharing a lovely review!

Tracy Jo said...

Great review and another one to add to my list! I really enjoyed the part you wrote about getting to know KarenG better too. Thank you to both Karens!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Nice review. And from a Karen to a Karen, too.

Karen Walker said...

Anne, that's great
Amie, you are welcome
Tracy Jo, the best part about blogging is getting to know such great (and talented people).
Diane, thanks
Karen

Donna Hole said...

A great review. Sound like an intriguing and heartfelt novel of family. Should be an interesting read.

.......dhole

Theresa Milstein said...

Karen, I've heard about this book. I remember way back when you were working on the cover blurb. Glad to see it's out there now!

I love your new picture, by the way.

Rebecca Bradley said...

It sounds a wonderful read and I'm now putting it on my TBR pile!

Green Monkey said...

very new here, wayyy behind on my Karen's! very nice review. look forward to reading~ Best, Shannon