Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday: a welcome change

Before I left on our trip to Greece and Turkey, I did some forgiveness work. There were several people from my past that I still hadn't forgiven in the deepest parts of my heart and soul. I had known for a long time I needed to do this work, but just wasn't ready. Then, suddenly I was. What I did and how I did it will remain private, but I certainly wasn't prepared for the soul-shattering experience of truly letting go of the feelings of anger and resentment I was still harboring. It felt as if my very cells and molecules were shifting. When they finished re-shuffling, I felt whole.

While walking through an ancient healing tunnel in Pergamon, Turkey, a whisper came, loud and clear: "You are healed." When I had some time to reflect and journal about this, I understood that it was a healing from the early childhood traumas and losing custody of my child. All the years I've spent on this spiritual and emotional healing journey brought me to this place of wholeness. Now, my Spirit can continue to expand from this new place, without the emotional baggage I've been carting around for 60 or so years.

I'll keep you posted on how it feels to move through my world from a place of wholeness rather than brokenness.

What's your truth today?
Blessings,
Karen

27 comments:

Bish Denham said...

What a wonderful awakening. Enjoy the new day and each new day that follows.

And my truth? I quit smoking about a month ago.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It sounds like you really found some peace through forgiveness. Thanks for the inspiration!

Joanne said...

It seems you were travelling more than one journey at the same time. Interesting how they worked in sync.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

My truth today I have finally come to terms my son no longer wants me, so I am getting on with my life, hard I know but I no longer waits for the phone to ring.

Loved your post made excellent reading.

Yvonne.

Better is Possible said...

Beautiful.

Julie Dao said...

I need to do some forgiveness work myself! Maybe one day I'll learn to heal too. Congrats on moving on!

Karen Walker said...

Bish, that is HUGE. Congratulations.
Elizabeth, seems to be the case, at least in this moment.
Joanne, yes, I was, it was a spiritual, emotional and physical journey.
Yvonne, I've had to do similar work with my own son, so I understand. It's all we can do is live our own lives and keep loving them.
BetterisPossible, thank you.
Julie, I hope that happens for you.
Karen

Jennifer Shirk said...

I bet it feels so good to have the burden lifted off of you. Like a re-birth. That's awesome. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is wonderful you were finally able to let go.

Suze said...

This is extraordinary, Karen.

Would you like to get together for a coffee, again, soon?

Manzanita said...

Karen, I am truly happy for your epiphany of forgiveness. Now your world becomes a beautiful joy of love.

Karen Walker said...

Jennifer, the feeling is indescribable
Alex, thank you
Suze, would love to see you!
Manzanita, that's what it feels like
Karen

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I'm so glad I read your post today. What a wonderful, life-affirming experience. You're an inspiration.

Have an awesome day!

Claudia Moser said...

Powerful post today! My thoughts? Happy for a personal achievement!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Oh, how wonderful for you. Letting go of all that negative energy awakens your soul to the positive. Makes you feel more alive, doesn't it?

As for what I did earlier today, I had a "yam session." Decorated a sweet potato and took pictures of it for my blog. Had fun doing it, too!

Karen Walker said...

Kathi, that makes me happy
Claudia, thank you
Susan, have to go check that out now
karen

Arlee Bird said...

This is a great message. Carrying the burdens of the past can weigh us down and make it difficult to move forward with life, but shedding those negative forces set us free. Bearing ill thoughts towards others hurts us more than it does them.

My truth is that after over 30 years having been mostly in management I have no trade or specific expertise of skills. I am afraid about what my employment future holds and need to rethink who I am and what I can do.


Lee
Blogging from A to Z

KarenG said...

Forgiveness is a cleansing act. Glad you were able to forgive and release those heavy burdens. I'm sure it made your trip so much better!

Karen Walker said...

Lee, wow, that sounds a bit challenging, but I have absolute faith you will figure it out.
KarenG, it did.
Karen

Jules said...

My dear friend, not finished but have read most of what you are talking about it, I smile boldly for you.

I tired that mending broken fence thing... it did not go well but I tired. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Talli Roland said...

What a powerful post, Karen. I'm the worst at hanging onto things. I'd love to learn to let more go.

Romance Reader said...

It was a wonderful awakening. Congratulations on moving forward!

Pk Hrezo said...

That's wonderful, Karen! So happy for you. Forgiveness is the most treasured gift in existence. I know, because I've been forgiven, and I've learned to forgive. It's such a release... and it offers a kind of poetic justice with the world. I think the hardest is learning to forgive ourselves. But we have that power and we have to embrace it. I'm still working on that... and it's my guess that I always will be.
So glad you've rid yourself of the emotional baggage! Cheers to that! *applause*

Margo Kelly said...

Beautiful. Thank you.

Helen Ginger said...

It seems like we tend to reach a point where things glide together and we're able to forgive and be forgiven, to understand the past from a viewpoint we didn't have at the time. At least, that's what I've been thinking lately.

Wonderful post, Karen. I'm very happy for you.

Karen Walker said...

Jules, to me, forgiveness is not about mending fences - sometimes it's just not possible to do that - but simply to forgive in our own hearts. It's much harder when we need someone else's forgiveness, however.
Talli, you're much younger - you've got time yet!
Romance Reader, thank you
Pk, you are so right, forgiving myself is much harder, but I've done some of that and working on the rest.
Margo, you are so welcome
Helen, thank you.
Karen

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it does sound like the moments of time came together and your healing tunnel journey epiphany sounds incredible.

Did you know about the ancient healing tunnel in Pergamon?

Fascinating and I'm so pleased for you .. have a lovely weekend .. Hilary