Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday Musings - String Bridge

I finished String Bridge Friday night and just had to write about it. I have come to know a lot of writers through the online community. I have read many of their books. Some I had to make myself finish just because I said I would. Then I had to find some nice things to say about a book I would not have purchased in the first place or ever finished. Others were good and I was honored to say so.

Jessica Bell's debut novel, String Bridge, took my breath away from the very first sentence and held me in awe until the very last. Jessica is the real deal. As a writer, I can talk about the characterizations and how rounded they were; the conflict and tension that was taut throughout; the metaphors that oozed off every page. But it is as a reader that makes the most difference, I think. And as a reader, Jessica's book did what I want every book I read to do, and few do these days. It had characters that I really cared about - characters I came to feel as real, characters who made me mad and whom I was really happy for when something went well for them. It had a story that spoke to me - one I could relate to. And it held my interest throughout.

I hope with all my heart that Jessica's life leads her to a place where she can devote all her time and energy to writing because it is clearly what she was  put on this earth to do.
Great writing is inspiring. And that's what String Bridge is and does.


Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Thank you so much, Karen! This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me and my writing! Lots of love to you!!! xoxo

Arlee Bird said...

It's good to hear another positive review of Jessica's book. I've not read it yet, but the excerpts I have read were beautifully written. I'm with you on that hope for Jessica's independence from other constraints in order to allow her to fully pursue writing and music--she's so good at both!


Lee
Dealing with adoption
Wrote By Rote

Glynis said...

Well said, Karen. The book is an absorbing read and I loved every sentence Jessica created.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Nice review! I've heard good things about this book...will have to find it.

KarenG said...

Totally agree with you! Jessica is a gifted writer. Can't wait to hear more from her.

Karen Walker said...

Jess, it's not hard to write my truth about you.
Lee, yes, she is
Glynis, yup
Elizabeth, Yes, do, it' well worth it
KarenG, me, too
Karen

Talli Roland said...

What a great review! I totally agree -- Jessica is very talented indeed.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it's a great review for Jessica - and she's certainly got people interested in her book & she'll be gaining more through the CD .. interesting marketing concept.

Great to read - thank you .. cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's on my iPad to be read! You need to listen to her CD as well.

Karen Walker said...

Talli, your book is next on my TBR file
Hillary, thanks
Alex, I have and it's hauntingly beautiful
Karen

Nisa said...

What an amazing review. I hope to get time to read this book soon!

Trisha said...

I can't wait to read it myself! It's on my TBR shelf.