Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, December 16, 2011

New Year's Exercise

Every year I do a special exercise for the new year. I got it from someone named Lakein back in the 1980's. You take a pad and pen and set a timer for 3 minutes and free write (without thinking) your lifetime goals. Stop. Set the timer for another 3 minutes and free write your three-year goals. Stop. Set the timer for another 3 minute and free write your goals if you knew you only had six months to live.
Gets my priority straight and clear every time.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

That sounds really cool. I also like to take some time around this time in the year to think about my priorities; what I've gained in the past year, what I hope to achieve in the next.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I like that idea!

PS You won a book on my blog. :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks. Sometimes, we have to see the words on paper before we assign them any value.

Halli Gomez said...

I love this. We did something like this last year at work. Writing short term and long term goals for our personal and professional lives.

I'm going to do it again this January and take the time to follow up more on my progress.
Maybe that will help me stay focused :)

Jules said...

You know this year Ms. Karen I gave up priorities. Life is going to be what it is with what I put into it and I can live with that.

Does that make sense? :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I will try that this year!

Karen Walker said...

Paul, it certainly seems like a fitting time to do this kind of reflective thinking.
Jennifer, ooh goody, I never win anything.
Susan, seeing things on paper always helps me make sense of things and discover what's really meaningful.
Halli, good luck with it.
Jules, makes perfect sense for you with what you have going on.
Alex, great.
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

This sounds like an excellent exercise. Now to find 10 extra minutes. I'm sure I waste far more than that every day.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Claudia Moser said...

Great exercise, I will try it this year!

Pearson Report said...

Great way of streamlining life!

I'm big on seeing things at all distances, but close and current is where I like to live in my head and heart.

I think I will try this - could be quite revealing!

Happy thoughts,
Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

L.G.Smith said...

What a cool exercise. I think I'll save that for New Year's Eve and see what comes out (after a drink or two it could get interesting).

Have a great weekend Karen.

Suze said...

That's interesting. Do you find yourself thinking in advance what you might write as the new year approaches?

Tracy Makara said...

I really like this idea. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to give it a try. :)

Ruth Ferris said...

I like the idea of this exercise. I will give it a try.

Laura Marcella said...

Hi, Karen! I like this idea a lot. The day after Christmas is usually when I start making my new year's goals. I'm definitely going to give this a whirl! Hope you have a great week. :)