Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, December 9, 2011

Staying Healthy

This is a busy week for my singing trio, Sugartime, and my new singing duo, Serendipity. Oh, I probably forgot to mention I'm singing with another woman. She wanted to join Sugartime, but that didn't work out, so I'm singing with her, just the two of us. This week, Sugartime has two big special events where we are the entertainment. We're actually getting paid for these. Serendipity has one gig, today. But everyone around me is sick. Two friends have sinus infections. Another is in the hospital. A third got stomach flu. I'm kissing nobody, including my husband, taking homeopathic remedies, and basically staying home unless I have to go out for some reason. Just have to get through Saturday night.

What do you do to stay healthy in winter with all those germs running around looking for homes?

Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

My husband's a singer, with gigs tonight and tomorrow - and I'm currently ill with the worst flu in the world (or a cold, I'm not sure). I'm in bed, staying away from him, and he's dosing me up with all kinds of medicine.

I don't think there's a foolproof way to avoid getting ill, just luck.

Hope your events go well!

April Plummer said...

No, there's no fullproof way to remain healthy all season. I already got pretty sick for about a week before Thanksgiving, and I'm hoping that's the last of it. Unfortunately, my husband is coming down with a cold now. Plus we have a 7-year old who brings home all kinds of germs. But I keep to my vitamin/healthy eating/working out regimine, and that should help some.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I just carry on and tough it out if I get sick. Hot port and staying warm in the evening tends to be my go-to remedy.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great you have two singing groups and so many gigs! Like you, I avoid the sick people and take my vitamins.

Suze said...

Are you ready for this, my Karen? To stay healthy, I think healthy. I have cultivated, all of my life, the idea of my own invincibility.

I very rarely even catch a cold. As a girl thinketh ...

So happy to hear about the progress of Sugartime and the birth of Serendipity!

Karen Walker said...

Annalisa, so sorry you are under the weather. Be well soon, okay?
April, yeah,it's harder when you're around younger children.
Paul, hot toddy's sound lovely
Alex, it's getting harder and harder to avoid them, however
Suze, the power of positive thinking - I love it!
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

Sadly I am having a bad cold for the last 4 weeks so ... no recommendation from my side I'm afraid! Stay healthy!

Joanne said...

The usual, plenty of rest, exercise, good food. With a flu shot thrown in for good measure :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Extra vitamin C and lots of water.

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, oh my gosh, I'm so sorry - please be well soon
Joanne, I'm a hold out on flu shots
Susan, I always forget the Vit C - thanks
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I'm another believer in positive thinking and determination. I try to stay in a healthy frame of mind but when I'm willing to let sickness in, I get sick.
It's cool that you have those singing gigs.

Lee
A to Z stories starting 12/12 and the official A to Z Badge is now revealed
Blogging from A to Z

Better is Possible said...

Good luck with your gigs and staying healthy. I've been sick for almost two weeks. Sore throat, fever, etc. My daughter in law has a singing gig this weekend and I may have given her my cold. Rats!
Take care, Karen.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. that's great you've got so much on - yes you can get sick .. but also you'll be fine - today's the day .. enjoy the gigs ..

As I'm sure everyone has said .. drink lots of water .. could do with honey and lemon (and spices) .. to add a little tonic. Eat well - lots of fresh fruit and veggies .. I'm sure you are ...

Enjoy all aspects of your talents .. cheers - Hilary

Talli Roland said...

Oh no! I hope you stay well. I do a lot of hand-washing. :)

Sally said...

Hello Karen. I came by way of pintrest and the blog Rags by Sock Monkey. I have family that lives in Albq. and know you've had some cold/wet weather. You are likely doing the best by keeping your hands, and lips, to yourself and staying in. I do my best to keep my hands washed and use sanitizer when at work and then just ride it through when I do get sick. Sorry, no great remedies to share.

Glynis said...

Stay healthy and singing, Karen!

I use cinnamon, lemon, honey and oranges to stave off colds and bugs.