Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Getting Ready for the A-Z Challenge

The intrepid Arlee Bird has created a special blog totally devoted to the A-Z Challenge, a very successful blog hop. Today, you can find my reflections on last year's challenge. Please check it out here:
http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

My truth today is that I'm not sure I'm up for that kind of challenge right now. My writing is sporadic at best and I don't want to put undo pressure on myself. On the other hand, I gained so many wonderful followers and made so many wonderful connections that I'm leery of skipping it. Thank goodness I don't have to decide until April. Right?

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

There is NO way, I'm taking part for a third year in a row. NO WAY. Just can't cope with it ...

April Plummer said...

I don't think I could either. It'd be fun to try, but an added pressure. Since I've decided to self-pub, I have way too much to do. Too much writing, editing, promoting, formatting...right now, I don't feel the absolute need to blog every day. I try, but if I don't, I don't. If I tried something like that, I'd feel like I should blog each and every day, and I know I can't make that kind of committment, let alone put that kind of thought required for something like that into every post!

Joanne said...

I've never really understood the purpose of a blog hop. It seems to really exhaust the bloggers, and in the end is the result to just add numbers to our followers? I'm not sure. I guess I put my efforts into my writing in other ways. Good luck with your decision!

Christine Rains said...

I'll be doing it for the first time in April. I'm excited! I did Rachael Harrie's Campaign Challenge. It took up some time, but it was well worth it.

Suze said...

I missed it last April -- I had just begun Girl Wizard at the end of March, so I am definitely doing it this year!

But, yes, you do have lots of months to decide.

Karen Walker said...

Jessica, that's how I'm leaning as well...we'll see.
April, we have to prioritize our time, don't we?
Joanne, I think the purpose is also to make more connections, not just increase followers, which has happened for me, which is why I'm hesitant not to do it.
Good luck, Christine.
Suze, yes, thank goodness, time to decide.
Karen

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm hoping to participate for the first time next year, but I also hope to write the posts way ahead of time. We'll see how that works out.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You can do it again, Karen!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love the A to Z Challenge, but I complicated things for myself this year and booked a few guest bloggers in April. Is it fair to request they begin their titles with the appropriate A to Z letter for their day?

Jemi Fraser said...

It's a huge commitment! I usually pull out the pompoms and cheer from the sidelines! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I won't be ready, but when it ended this year, I knew what I'd do for next year. Now I need to follow through on that idea.

Karen Walker said...

Good luck, Susan,
Alex, I know I can, it's a question of time and how I want to spend it.
Patricia, totally fair!
Jemi, smart girl!
Diane, knowing you, if you decide to do it, you'll follow through.
Karen

Liz Fichera said...

I'm in denial that April is around the corner. ;-)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Karen!

Tracy Makara said...

Hi Karen. I know what you mean about the pressure. Just finished up with NanoWriMo last month...more writing and tons of editing left to do, and just signed up for the Creative Every Day challenge for 2012. All that on the plate and I find myself waiting gleefully for the A to Z Challenge to start. I had so much fun with it last year and met tons of great people...like you. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it's a way away yet .. having the theme helps .. I know that got me through and I wrote the post on that day.

I realised I couldn't keep up - and over time .. would rather have great followers who comment, than lots that really aren't interested .. and I join those I'm interested in.

Joanne has a point - it depends on what other work you've got going on .. a book needs to be finished if the momentum is there.

It's enjoyable .. and does up the ante getting to know many others ..

Have a very happy Christmas and New Year - time to recharge the batteries without the computer perhaps ... A very successful 2012 .. cheers for now - Hilary

sue said...

I enjoyed meeting so many new people and pushing myself to meet the challenge. I would have dilly dallied and procrastinated with my theme otherwise. As Hilary said, it depends on what other commitments you have, but if there aren't any, I'd encourage people to give it a go.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Have all mine ready for the challenge, Don't want to be caught rushing at the last minute,

Yvonne.

Paula Martin said...

Think I will probably do it again, I gained a lot of friends during A-Z last year, not just followers.

Arlee Bird said...

You can do it! Keep posts short and sweet.


Lee
Wrote By Rote