Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday - telling the truth

Last week I wrote about being all dried up. No new words in a long time for my novel. The next morning I woke up early with a thought about a new character. Then, yesterday, voila - two new paragraphs. It made me re-learn something I tend to forget. If I dig deep down inside of me and tell myself the truth about what is going on, the energy always shifts. Maybe not right away. But at some point, it does. This was the first time I didn't come down hard on myself for not writing, but simply rode the "all dried up" wave.

So, there's something else I'm feeling that I need to tell the truth about. It is very difficult to maintain my sense of well being and inner peace and joy when others around me are suffering. It's similar to being taught not to win at games because others will feel bad. Now, with games, I know it's ridiculous. But how do you keep smiling when you're face to face with someone's pain?

Thoughts?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You keep smiling because you might be that ray of joy they need.

Annalisa Crawford said...

People who are suffering sometimes need help to forget, however briefly. Your smile helps with that.

I'm glad you're over your block.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

A hard lesson to learn is that we can't hope to help others if we don't look after ourselves first. We're no use to our loved ones if we're exhausted or feeling down about things outside our control. By maintaining our own joy and happiness, we have more to share with others, and we're better able to provide what help we can.

Liz Fichera said...

I think it's okay not to smile all the time. Is that even possible? If you don't know pain, how do you know happiness? I agree, though. It's difficult to be happy when someone around you is suffering. Sometimes I think you can show your best support just by being near.

DL Hammons said...

I like what Alex said, you need to be that beacon of light during dark times. :)

Jules said...

You remember that smile may be all that they have to hold on to. Trust me I know this Karen. Big Hug!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Joanne said...

There's strength in a smile, and that someone just might tap into your strength to help them through.

GigglesandGuns said...

When I'm down and get around those who are happy I try to "show" happy too. Usually I walk away feeling at least a little better. Why wouldn't it it work in reverse when I am happy and someone else not so much?
Mary

L.G.Smith said...

I'd been stuck for a few days too in my writing then I realized it was because I had gone down the wrong path. I had to delete a page or two of writing and go back to where I'd made the wrong turn. Now I'm moving along again. Nothing wrong with going through a few "dry days" to figure out what's not working. Hopefully that's all your friend needs too. :)

Karen Walker said...

Love you guys, big time!
Karen

Melissa Sarno said...

Sometimes riding the 'dried out' wave is the way to go, as you say. But I know how frustrating it can be when you're riding it. I think you always have to hold on to the good, especially when someone is suffering.

Eve said...

It's very hard to remain secure and at peace when you see people suffering, especially if they are family members. I have learned in the last year, that I can try my best to be a positive influence and help them with their challenges, but in the end they are grownups and I cannot control the decisions they make for their lives, whether I agree with them or not. Sometimes you cannot keep smiling, and that's okay. Sometimes smiling is inappropriate. When you're ready to smile again, you will, and not according to someone else's time table. You are the only one on the planet who really knows you and what your feelings and needs are. Smile when you're ready to.

Manzanita said...

That is a tough one but remember that sunshine has a way of filtering through cracks and crevices and bringing warmth to everything.

Claudia Moser said...

Eventually all will be well!

Arlee Bird said...

There's always hope--that's why I try to keep on smiling and staying as positive as I can. If the contagion of hope keeps spreading more of us keep trying.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

welcome to my world of poetry said...

When I can;t get inspired to write I leave it a while, eventually something comes my way.

Yvonne.

Julie Musil said...

Aw, Karen, you're a good person. I don't know the answer to your question, because I'd probably feel the same way. But your successes are hard-earned, and hopefully you can take joy in them. And hopefully that joy can spread to those around you who are suffering.

As for riding the "dried up wave," good for you! I'm so glad you pushed through it.