Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Insecure Writers's Support Group - writing woes

What's a writer to do when she's not writing? Gee, that could be the title to a country western song, 'cept I don't listen to country western much. Although I did sing a country western song at our folk dance talent show. Go figure.

My insecurities really flare up when I'm not writing. I've been doing journal writing, and I am reassured that there is nothing major going on emotionally or spiritually that is preventing me from writing. I am going to set my intention to sit down every day and get quiet for 10 minutes minimum and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

This post is part of The Insecure Writer's Support Group, hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/. We post the first Wednesday of every month.


Blessings,
Karen

33 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That might be all it takes, Karen!

DL Hammons said...

LUCK!!! :)

Carrie said...

Good Luck!

Siv Maria said...

Woe is me...LOL, You are not alone. I am so tired these days that just getting out of bed is work. Good luck on your quiet time and your inspiration :)

Tonja said...

I agree that writers need to write. I love your idea of writing for just ten minutes. I'm stuck too - I was going to force myself to write for an hour - maybe ten minutes is better.

alberta ross said...

all the best

Anne K. Albert said...

Ten minutes is totally doable...go for it, and happy writing!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, let's hope so
DL, Thank you!
Carrie, thanks
Siv, I am so sorry you are so tired. Wishing you energy!!
Tonja, let me know if it works!
Alberta, you, too
Anne, yes, it is - thank you
Karen

Rachel Morgan said...

Good luck! You can write a lot in ten minutes if you just keep your fingers moving.

L.G.Smith said...

I don't mean to sound controversial (well maybe I do, lol) but I think if you want to write fiction and nothing is coming to you, what you really need is a little conflict. Think of the worst thing that can happen to your protagonist and then hit her with it. Figuring out how to get her out of that mess will have your fingers tapping faster than you can keep up. :)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

It's amazing how quickly the brain works when trained even just 10 minutes a day. I hope this is just what you need! New follower :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I wish you luck Karen.

Yvonne,.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Just write. I think that's what it takes, because I know when I take a break (like I just did over Christmas) it's really hard to find my rhythm again.
Best wishes on writing every day!

WritingNut said...

I know exactly what you mean! I feel most myself when I'm writing.. good luck.. you can do it :)

Cate Masters said...

Any writing practice helps! Good luck.

Christine Rains said...

Good luck! My insecurities do the same thing. Get writing!

Pearson Report said...

Where's that lucky penny when you need it, eh?

I'm wishing you luck, in any case!

Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We just have to force ourselves back into the habit.

Kathleen Doyle said...

Good luck! =)

Karen Walker said...

Rachel, that is so true.
L.G. you don't sound controversial. It's a very excellent point. Unfortunately, that's not the problem.
Tasha, thanks for the lovely comment and visit and follow.
Yvonne, you, too.
Tyrean, the breaks are killing me. First it was a 3-week vacation, then the holidays. Now I have to find my rhythm again.
Writingnut, oh how I wish that weren't so, but it is.
Cate, that is absolutely true!
Christine, as soon as I finish blogging, I'm hitting my 10 minutes
Jenny, thanks much
Diane, habit, hmmm?d
Kathleen, thank you!
Karen

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Go for it! A lot of the writing books claim the most important thing for writers to apply is their butts to the seat so they can start writing. Just DO it, as they say. Ten minutes isn't intimidating, so I know you can do it. Good luck.

Joanne said...

I think the journal idea is inspiring. I'm going to start my own journal so thanks for bringing this up. Best wishes for the New Year!

Karen Walker said...

Susan, yes, just DO it, is the key
Joanne, you're very welcome.
Karen

Clarissa Draper said...

I find going for a walk really helps me. I hope you get out of your slump soon.

Melissa Sarno said...

Good luck with the ten minute minimum, Karen. I have faith you can do it :)

Dafeenah said...

Good luck with the ten mins. It's also my goal to be more focused in 2012. We'll see how that works out lol

Karen Walker said...

Clarissa, it used to help me as well, but not this time.
Thanks, Melissa and Dafeenah. We'll see...
Karen

Joanne said...

Hm, in the Whole Latte Life Viewer I'm seeing that 10 minutes expand into an hour a day, then two, without you even feeling the minutes tick past because you'll be so engrossed in the story taking shape!

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

It's true. Our insecurities flair up when we don't use our talents. Great use of journaling to work through it. I'm doing more of that myself.

Jules said...

Sit quite for 10, get jiggy with it for 30 and then see what happens. :) I think sometimes we try to force things that are not yet ripe, so be kind to yourself as well.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Damon said...

what a greaaaat blog ,love your blog =) follow

Patsy said...

As long as those quiet 10 minutes are spent in front of a keyboard or with a pen in your hand, I think your plan will work fine.

Karen Walker said...

Joanne, your mouth to God's ears, as they say.
Mary, I wouldn't have survived without journalling.
Jules, I know, I'm trying to make sure I don't force it.
Damon, why thank you so much!
Patsy, here's hoping...
Karen