Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 2, 2012

Monday Musings - it's a brand new year

Hello everyone,
Thanks for all who stopped by during my holiday break to leave good wishes. I really did manage to stay away from blogging during the holidays and so I didn't get to visit any of you. Hope your holidays were everything you hoped they'd be.

This year I was responsible for putting on our annual folk dance New Year's Eve party, which is a lot of work, so I am pretty exhausted. Lots happened over the holidays--some good, some not so good, but all in all I am doing well.

I have set my intention on several things for the new year. One, I am trying not to be so irritable when things don't go the way they are supposed to. Two, I am going to spend much more time in quiet thought and meditation and hope that brings new writing my way. Three, I am going to remember to count my blessings.

I am grateful for the connections I have made through blogging. I began in May, 2009 and it has been quite a journey. What are you grateful for today?

Blessings,
Karen

30 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Welcome back, Karen! Glad the New Year's Eve party dance went well. Well, you didn't say, so I hope it did!

Karen Walker said...

Oops, you're right, Alex. It was a blast!
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

Happy New Year and happy you are around us :)

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm grateful for my salvation, health, family, and friends. Everything else is secondary. Have a healthy and prosperous New Year Karen! And yes, its hard to believe its been three years since we were in Dani's class.

Tonja said...

Quiet meditation sounds good.

Paula Martin said...

Happy New Year, Karen - your three goals sounds great.

Arlee Bird said...

Glad you had some good holiday time. Mine is still going as I'm in Houston for now and then have the two day drive back home. And then it's back home. I think I'll need a few days rest after this trip.

Have a great year!


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Arlee Bird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
welcome to my world of poetry said...

Welcome back Karen, hope you have a wonderful New Year. .....A time to start anew.

Yvonne.

L.G.Smith said...

Happy New Year!! You did better than me. I didn't blog, but I wasn't able to stay away from the blogosphere AT ALL. Still, I got a little writing in and some critiquing done. Not bad.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hi Karen. I am grateful that in the years of recession we've been okay financially.

And I'm really grateful for my new Dragon software because I'm excited about writing again.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Happy New Year, and welcome back to the blogosphere. I find it pretty easy not to be irritated when things don't go the way they should, because I gave up long ago on trying to second guess the future. I'm never sure how things are gonna go, so I'm rarely disappointed. Just doing my best, and enjoying the ride. And grateful for too many things to enumerate.

Joanne said...

I am grateful to be in the place I'm at right now in my life, in so many ways, with my writing, my family, my decisions, my day to day living.

Happy New Year Karen, wishing you all goodness and much writing in the coming months ...

Linda Hoye said...

Happy New Year, Karen. I'm grateful for my family most of all.

Suze said...

I love brand new years. :)

Today, I am grateful for The Plan I am ready to enact.

Christine Rains said...

Happy New Year to you too! :) I'm grateful for family and friends.

KarenG said...

Welcome back, Karen! I stayed away as well but it's good to be back. I like your resolutions-- very inspiring. Meditation and gratitude will bring good things your way!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Lots of people around us lost their homes during last fall's flooding so I'm grateful we still have our nice house.

Siv Maria said...

Welcome Back! Glad you had fun at your dance, and that you had a nice holiday break. I an grateful that it has stopped raining and we have gad some sun today----Norwegian winter? Still waiting for snow and it is January, go figure!

Jules said...

Welcome back, Karen. No resolutions but I intend for this to be my year. Let's compare notes, say around June. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm grateful for a lot. And especially today I'm grateful I stuck to my writing goals.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Happy New Year and welcome back! I like the goals you've set...I might have to steal them for my own!

Tracy Jo said...

I also need to work on the two things you are setting your intention on. My other big one for 2012 is to declutter. I am incredibly thankful to be working from home. Welcome back and Happy New Year!

Kari Marie White said...

Happy New Year! I wish you all the best.

April Plummer said...

I'm glad you had a great holiday and New Year, and I'm happy to be part of this big, wide, wonderful writing community! Counting blessings is something I think probably just about everyone could do more often. It's easy to take the people and opportunities in our lives for granted or get so lost in our problems and forget how fortunate we really are.

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, oh how sweet! Thank you.
Stephen, a lot has happened over these 3 years.
Tonja, yes it does - now all I have to do is do it!
Paula, thanks
Arlee, safe journey, okay?
Yvonne, I actually am working on starting anew each day, not just each year. What a concept!
LG, not bad at all, not bad at all
Diane, that is a lot to be grateful for - and the Dragon software sounds wonderful!
Susan, such wise words. I forget if I have no expectations, then I'm not disappointed or upset.
Joanne, right back at ya!
Linda, lovely
Suze, ooh, what a tease - can't wait to hear more about The Plan
Christine, without family and friends we'd all be nowhere.
Susan, oh, that's so hard. I am so glad for you.
Siv, our weather has been weird as well.
Thanks Jules, good luck to both of us!
Carol, that's great!
Elizabeth, steal away!
Tracy Jo, de-cluttering is a wonderful thing to do - good luck!
Karie Marie, Happy New Year to you as well.
April, yes, yes yes,
Karen

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like you had a busy holiday and a good start for the new year. I'm grateful for wonderful blogging friends like you. Have a joyous New Year.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Dafeenah said...

it is difficult to stay away but glad you're back and am looking forward to what the new year brings!!

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Happy new year, Karen! I'm getting back into the routine now, myself.

Glynis said...

Happy New Year, Karen. Positive thinking is always a good thing!