Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Musings - a Sugartime success story

A big thank you to everyone who stopped by here on Friday and left such beautiful comments. I'm glad so many of us are working on little things to make a difference in peoples' lives.

As part of my Monday musings, I need to direct you to the Arlee bird's website, where I am talking about Karen Gowen's astounding new concept, Celery tree, a new website where authors support other authors. Please take a moment to head over there (after reading this post, of course, LOL). http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

I want to tell you about my experience on Friday singing. One of the ways I try to make a difference is with my group, Sugartime. We don't charge a fee when we perform at retirement communities, senior centers, nursing homes, or even at private functions. We accept donations and tell people if there's a budget, that's fine. If there isn't, that's fine, too. We'll sing anyway. On Friday we were invited to sing at a grand re-opening of a Senior Center here in town. We said yes, not knowing that it was going to be a pretty major event. Two days before we were to sing, we found out the Mayor would be there and could we please change the time we were to sing and shorten our program. We said yes. When we arrived on Friday morning, one hour before show time to set up our equipment, we found out we had to sing earlier than we were told because the Mayor changed the time again. Okay. We sang our shortened program to a really nice crowd and then stayed while the Mayor re-dedicated the center. Then the organizer realized there was a 45 minute lag in entertainment, so we were asked to sing some more. We did.

Afterwards, the head of the Department of Senior Affairs came up to me and said, "Thank you so much. You were wonderful. You set the spirit of the entire event for us."

You cannot imagine how wonderful it is to hear that you did what you set out to do. Bring joy!
I will be getting together with her to talk about how Sugartime can perform at more of these kinds of events. We had an absolute blast!

Saying yes, even if it means extra hard work and a bit of chaos and having to "go with the flow" can be hard, but oh so rewarding.

Do you say yes, even if it means some sacrifice on your part?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Dafeenah said...

You guys sound awesome! I most always say yes. It's like "no" isn't in my vocabulary for some reason.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like you had a great time and gave everyone a lot of joy at the reopening!

Talli Roland said...

Wow! A big congrats to Sugartime - how lovely to be told such kind words!

Claudia Moser said...

I am sure you were wonderful, I am actually sad I cannot hear you sing live!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Those are wonderful words to hear! It helped that you were flexible, too. Sometimes a change in schedule can cause an entertainer or speaker to have a melt down.

Karen Walker said...

Dafeenah, I should probably have added that it's important to be able to say "no" as well,'cause it is.
Elizabeth, yes, it's such a win-win.
Talli, thank you.
Claudia, wish you could, too!
Diane, I used to be one of those people.
Karen

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good for you! Hearing that your efforts made a difference is worth more than money any day. And yeah, as much as I like to think I've gotten better at saying no now and then, I still find when I open my mouth, the word yes usually seems to leap out of its own volition.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome, Karen! And you got to perform in front of the mayor. Too cool.
Most of the time when I say yes it requires extra effort, but I'm careful when I say yes, so it's always worth it.

Karen Walker said...

Susan, I just think we have to be really thoughtful in our responses
Alex, I'm learning to be careful when I say yes as well. It's an important lesson - being able to say yes and not feel resentful.
Karen

Joanne said...

So often I've found that when things don't go the way I'd expected, that's when good things happen! Glad you had a great weekend :)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Yes, kind words after giving of yourself can make you feel as if your efforts were worthwhile. Glad you received. And bravo, to Sugartime, Roland

Belle said...

I'm sure they were grateful your group was so flexible and accommodating with the singing schedule. I did used to say yes and sacrifice but I've not been well enough to do it any longer. Doing good for others is worth the sacrifice though.

Better is Possible said...

How wonderful. Thanks for sharing with us and for your sacrifice.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Thanks for sharing your life with us, it made great reading.

Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it's that being flexible and being prepared to help - it's wonderful you are all so generous with those things and your time - they'll remember you for a long time.

I'm sure more blessings will follow - cheers to Sugartime .. and you .. Hilary