Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Telling the truth Tuesday - Joy is joyous

I went dancing Saturday night. For those who are new here, I do folk dancing, which means we dance the cultural dances of countries from around the world: Hungarian, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Israeili, Irish, etc. I have been folk dancing on and off since I'm 16 (and I'm turning 63 this year). Oy! I have no cartilage in my left knee and dancing makes it hurt. Walking does not. But I made a decision a month or so ago to start dancing again, even if it accelerates the journey towards knee replacement. I am so glad I did. Dancing for me is pure joy!

I want more joy-filled activities in my life. I'm lucky, I've got two that bring me the kind of heart-expanding, tingly all over and you can't keep from smiling feeling I'm talking about - dancing and singing.

What fills your heart with joy?
Blessings,
Karen

24 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Oh, that sounds fabulous!

Mid-day walks through Hyde Park make me happy.

Joanne said...

Walking, and concerts. Pure joy.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You just keep dancing, Karen!
Guitar playing is my joy.

L.G.Smith said...

I love that you get to do so much singing and dancing.

I really do get joy from words, either reading or writing something wonderful. And walking in the mountains. Love that.

Karen Walker said...

Talli, I love that you said mid-day walks - breaking up the work day with something joy-filled is such a brilliant idea.
Joanne, yup
Alex, would love to hear you play some day
L.G. ah yes, words and walking and writing - nice alliteration.
Karen

Better is Possible said...

Dancing sounds like so much fun. Playing piano brings me joy.

Jules said...

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah! Now if I answer don't think less of me...

I find great joy in playing games with people I do not know. Sort of a mad woman in the grocery thing. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thrilled you are dancing again, Karen!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. that's great - and that you can continue to do both .. Just being happy and cheerful - letting the sunshine in .. and I'm very happy creating away .. cheers Hilary

Claudia Moser said...

Romanian dances? I think you told me once about them! What do you dance?

Karen Walker said...

Better is Possible, oh yes, piano, lovely
Jules, you make me smile
Diane, me, too!
Hilary, you always seem cheerful to me. It's lovely.
Claudia, oh god, I'd have to look thru our repertoire to remember which ones are Romanian. I'll get back to you on this.
Karen

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Dancing makes me feel alive. I dance all the time when I'm in the house alone where no one can see, but you've inspired me to get out there and enjoy life a little more.

Karen Walker said...

Oooh, Kathi, how delicious.
Karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I'm impressed with your dancing.

Need you ask what brings me joy
It's the on and only Danny Boy.

Yvonne.

Nicole Zoltack said...

That sounds like so much fun!

My family fills my heart with joy. Can't wait for it to grow even bigger - I'm due in less than 6 weeks!

Mason Canyon said...

Reading and walks in the woods are a joy.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Vicki Rocho said...

That must've been a hard decision - protect the knee or pursue joy. Wishing you much joy!

My children make me crazy happy. Sometimes they just make me crazy, but let's not go there...

Karen Walker said...

Glad you have your Danny boy, Yvonne,
Nicole, how wonderful - congratulations
Mason, oh yeah, they sure are!
Vicki, Lol
Karen

Jen Chandler said...

Hi Karen! And a happy (belated) New Year :D

Folk dancing sounds like so much fun. I'm with you. We all need more joy in our lives, joy shared with others!

I for one would love to join a choir again. I miss singing and I think it would bring me more joy!

Happy Wednesday,
Jen

Annalisa Crawford said...

Recently, for me, it was walking along a beach with my family, sun shining, hats and gloves firmly ON. It was an incredibly busy beach full of people similarly dressed, and we were all having a great day - very strange seeing as though this time last year, that beach had snow on it!

Dafeenah said...

So glad you have things that you can enjoy!! My cat and my writing which btw thanks to your support is reaching an almost publication date..I never imagined it possible!!

Karen Walker said...

Hi Jen, so nice to see you here. You should find a choir if you love it so.
Annalisa, that sounds so lovely
Dafeenah, your memoir? That's awesome - do tell!
Karen

Lynn said...

Joy is so important! Inspiring to read you are dancing regardless of your knee. Photography brings me joy--wandering in nature, getting low to the ground, to find the simpliest of beauty to shoot.

Glynis said...

I love dancing. The weddings in Cyprus wear me out with the village dancing. It is wonderful. So glad you have taken it up again,Karen. Have fun!x