Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Musings - Masters of Motown



        I was 11 years old when 1960 rolled around. When The Four Tops sang “I Can’t Help Myself” in 1965, I was 16. I rocked out to Martha and the Vandellas belting out “Heat Wave” and swooned over the Temptations singing “My Girl.”
Last Saturday, a group called Masters of Motown came to Albuquerque. The ensemble consisted of three men and three women singing many of the songs I came of age to in the 60’s. As I waited in the lobby for the doors to open, I noticed the other attendees, most of whom had white hair, many of whom walked with canes or walkers, a few were in wheelchairs, and thought to myself, what are all these old people doing coming to a Motown concert? Then I realized I was one of them. 
I can’t remember who said, “I’m 19 years old until I look in the mirror,” but whoever it was, they were spot on. I’m about to turn 63, but I’m still rocking out to the music I grew up with. Not only that, I’m familiar with and like a lot of today’s musicians like Lady Gaga and Maroon 5. True, I can’t sing along like I do to my generation’s songs because it’s much harder to get new lyrics into my brain these days, but I still love the music. And a few weeks ago, when I sang at a sock up with Sugartime at a local Senior Center, after our performance, we danced our little hearts out. And let me tell you, some of those seniors had stamina some 16-year-olds would kill for. I wasn’t one of them. My knee hurt for days afterwards.
Why am I telling you all of this? Well, I realized something crucial about growing older and aging. Our insides don’t change. It’s only the external shell we call our body that does. I’m going to hold onto that thought as I move through these twilight years. How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I totally agree, we feel the same inside, it's only the outside that changes. As long as we keep our sense of humour and keep a smile on our face we can't go wrong.

Yvonne.

Joanne said...

What a rich musical era the 60s were in so many ways, so many genres. I don't think any other decade since has produced such a wealth of music. Rock on, Karen.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm 40 and I think I'm more childish than my child. LOL!
Keep groovin', girl!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a wonderful thought!
I still go to rock concerts and I worry that it will be nothing but young people. Every time, I'm amazed to discover that I'm nowhere near the oldest person there.

Claudia Moser said...

You are as old as you feel, that will always be my opinion!

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, you're right. A sense of humor is key.
Joanne, I think every generation thinks their music is the best. I'm lucky that I love every generation's music, from swing in the 40's the be-bop in the 50's, to Motown 60's.
Jennifer, I think that's true for me and my 39-year-old as well.
Alex, I think I might have to go to a rock concert and see for myself, but then, you're much younger than me.
Claudia, it's still the mirror that shocks me, not the way my body feels.
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

It's so true, Karen. I still feel like my younger self inside. I can't even believe what my license says about my age. And my grandmother, who lived to 99, said the same thing. Inside she still felt very young.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Absolutely, and inside of every old person is a young person wondering what the heck happened. I honest-to-goodness can't believe I'm as old as I am. When in the world did THAT happen? But as long as I avoid mirrors, I'm still as young as I feel, and most days, that's still pretty darned young. (Which isn't necessarily the same thing as childish.)

Mason Canyon said...

I completely agree with you about aging and getting older. My body may know my true age, but sometimes my brain doesn't want to believe it. Keep up the dancing. I also love the music of the 60s and 70s.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. good to have you back .. so true - our bodies are one thing - the mind tells us fibs! We just carry on feeling like we're in our twenties .. and are all definitely young at heart ...

It's wonderful you have music and your singing .. do you play as well - or are you learning?

Cheers and hope all is well .. Hilary