Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, March 2, 2012

Energy

Whatever we do in life, it is the energy we bring to it that makes the experience whatever it will be. With my singing, I have to know the lyrics, the melody or harmony, choreography moves, put that all together, practice it, and then sing from my heart. With writing, I have to get myself into a meditative state and allow the words to flow from deep inside me. With friends and family and hubs, I have to show up, be fully present and conscious, listen well, share myself. With all of the above, a great deal of time and all of my energy is needed in order to have a full, rich experience.

I've noticed that with blogging, my energy isn't there anymore. Successful bloggers, those with 1,000 or more followers, put a lot of time and energy into it. My energy pie is pretty much divvied up according to priorities and there isn't any pie left for more than an hour of blogging time per day. I used to beat myself up because I didn't have X number of followers or get X number of comments (I still do occasionally) or if someone decided to unfollow me. That serves no purpose.

This blog is a place for me to share my thoughts and feelings about issues, topics or concerns I have related to this journey we call life. I need to think of it in the same way I thought about my memoir--that hopefully someone who needs to hear what I have to say will find their way to the words and to me. Otherwise, I need to let go and not try to hard. With singing, if I try too hard, my voice becomes gravelly and sounds as if I am straining. If I sing on the air of the breath and focus on what I am singing, the tone is clear and pure.

I am going to try to apply that to my writing here on this blog.
How about you? Where does blogging fit in your energy pie?

Blessings,
Karen

20 comments:

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

It's a conundrum, isn't it???? I'm using conundrum in a sentence 5 times today ;-) Anyway, I hear you loud and clear! I enjoy blogging and the connection with friends, but it can become very time-consuming, because it's not just your blogging, it's that you want and need to reciprocate with visits and comments to other blogs. I have always seen my blog as a "writing opportunity" in that whatever I put up there, I have taken the time to write about it well -even if it's a sort of silly one like today. And when I have nothing to say, or have no juice, I think it's best to give it a rest. This weekend I really need to work on my book, so I'm giving blog visiting an hour today and them a break.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your blog should be what you want of it. It should be based on your needs and goals, and it should never zap all of your energy or enthusiasm.
Anyone who is envious of blogs with over a thousand followers should understand that it does require a lot of energy and time. And it's more than most people can do.
The connections you have here are far more meaningful than any amount of followers.

Karen Walker said...

Melissa, amen.
Alex, these words mean more than you can imagine. Thank you.
Karen

KarenG said...

Wow these were great comments you got from Alex and Melissa, and I don't have anything to add other than to echo their sentiments. I like you idea of the energy pie. I'm giving a lot less energy to my blog than I have in a long time. The only reason I can see that I'm still getting followers is due to my A to Z Challenge host position. And I chose to do that for fun, not that it would help me along my author promotion journey. In fact, sometimes, you just need to do fun stuff with the blog and not worry about results.

L.G.Smith said...

I think a lot of us get caught up in the idea that our blogs have to behave a certain way to be considered successful, but really it's all a matter of attitude. I had to reassess recently, too, and let go of some notions I had in order to relax and just enjoy the experience for what it is.

Karen Walker said...

Karen, thanks for your thoughts - I appreciate it.
L.G., reassessing is good, isn't it?
Karen

Laura Eno said...

I have crumbs...no, less than crumbs. Specks. *sigh*

Tonja said...

You're definitely not alone.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

At the moment I have jetlag, last night I spent an hour and a half writing a new blog and inserting photo;s out of my 477 followers only 7 commented, I don't usually worry about the comments but the fact my energy level was low I was a wee bit disappointed,

Yvonne.

DL Hammons said...

You are right...as soon as you fall into that trap of chasing followers you're done being a writer! Use it to express yourself naturally and the followers will come the same way. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Numbers aren't that big of a deal. To be perfectly honest, I'd have to look to see how many followers I have. I don't look at blog stats either. I blog because I like it - I've met a lot of great people and I enjoy the connections I have with them. That's enough for me :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Blogging is probably sucking up more energy than it should, but in time, I'll reassess and back off a bit. For now, I'm enjoying it.

Tracy Makara said...

Karen, I am glad to see that you are looking differently at the blogging experience. My current blog is the fourth one that I have started with the current one being a place for me to be genuine and share without worrying about it. Of course I would love to see more followers but it's early days for this new baby. :)In the end though I try not to worry about the numbers too much. These days I like to believe that if someone is meant to find a message that I've written there that they will. Anyway...back to you LOL! I look forward to seeing what you do here...sharing your life with us. *hugs*

Liz Fichera said...

While I love to blog and love to connect with others through blogging, I can empathize with what you're saying about the dwindling energy pie. Writing must come first.

The Armchair Squid said...

Nice to meet you. Good luck with A-Z. I look forward to your posts.

Amy Jarecki said...

Hi Karen - I know exactly what you mean. A person only has so much time/energy and right now I'm super focused on writing. I'm trying to ensure I put up a fun blog at least once a week - that's what I've got energy for right now.

Nice to meet you - lovely blog.

Amy

Tracy Jo said...

I hear you. I struggle with my energy pie and balance. I keep reminding myself that I have to prioritize and pick the things that are most important to me. Your blog has touched me many times...so keep that faith that the people that need your words will find you. :-)

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I recently took stock of all the things that I was devoting my energy to and found that a shocking amount was going to things that I didn't need to be worrying about, and this was damaging my health. I treat blogging primarily as a way to remain a part of the online community. So long as I have a few regular readers and can build on those relationships, it's doing its job.

But at the moment my focus is on editing and taking some extra time to look after myself, so if I have a week where all I can think of is to share some music I like, then so be it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I think you've got the balance on the right track - it's where we're comfortable and can enjoy the experience.

I've never worries about numbers .. though it was nice to creep up to 100 and then grow as things happened.

But it's the comments I love and the interaction that comes from those bloggers.

I love the learning process too - meeting new authors with a different story, or a different take on art, music .. things I know little about ..

So I definitely hear you .. just good to have you back .. cheers Hilary

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I've been through those thoughts too. I have had my main blog for 3.5 years, have nearly 1600 posts, spend an average of 3 hours a day on it ... but, I only have 105 followers and only get a lot of comments when Sepia Saturday comes along.

Still, I consider it a success. I love it, I am doing research and have enough articles written for probably 5 different books, give my hand at creative writing and posts pretty pictures for peeps to enjoy.

As some of your other commenters are saying, I am doing it just for me, really. It is very eclectic and some get it and some don't, but I have made peace with that.

I haven't been here to visit you for awhile, and I have really enjoyed catching up on your recent posts.

Take care,

Kathy M.