Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, March 16, 2012

Keeping to a routine that works

I find it odd that when I finally figure something out that works for me, it then becomes very difficult to continue doing it on a daily basis. What does that say about me? That I sabotage myself? That I can't sustain good feelings? That I am incapable of following through?

I found a daily routine that really fits me and my personality and my issues. Get up, eat breakfast, exercise (which I now call movement), shower, dress, meditate, write, practice singing, then blog. It works. If I do these things, in this particular order, I am done around lunchtime (this is if I wake at 6:30). I feel wonderful to have accomplished all these things by noon.

So why oh why do I do it Monday, Tuesday, then by Wednesday I'm deciding, oh maybe I'll blog first. Or I'll exercise later. Or, whatever stupid idea comes into my head to change it up. Then, of course, I don't exercise later and the writing is out the window for the day.

I am going to take my own advice and go inward with this dilemma to see what the triggers are that make me want to change what is working. I'll let you know what I discover.

Do any of you have a similar situation where you don't do what you know works?

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Siv Maria said...

All the time---It is called boredom :) Don't be so hard on yourself, routines are great but if you have to fight them just accept the fact that sometimes it is good to be flexible. Have a great week-end Karen!

serena page turner said...

Im the same at work if i dont make a list at the start of the day (this list has the same tasks on it every morning) if i dont make the list, even if i dont actually use it I forget something and get side tracked on smething that doesnt even need to be done.

Liz Fichera said...

I like routine too. I need routine in order to meet my deadlines, obligations, etc. But now when something comes up that puts a monkey-wrench into my day, I just kinda go with the flow and get back on track as soon as I can. Easier said than done, I know. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a creature of habit, so changes tend to really throw me off for the day.

L.G.Smith said...

That's me. I do well for a few days with a new schedule then easily get distracted and do what I want instead of what I should do. My working out (movement) has really suffered the most lately.

Arlee Bird said...

I tend to stick to a schedule of habit with intent to change because I don't think my current schedule is working very efficiently to accomplish what I need to get done. I keep intending to draw up a schedule on paper and make a calendar but never do it. Change needs to come but I think I'm stuck in a routine--or should I say rut?


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge
Please vote for your favorite A to Z Video

Karen Walker said...

You know Siv, I think you're right!
Serena, Oy vay!
Liz, it ain't easy, but I'm trying!
Alex, yeah, it's those times when we're thrown off that are challenging.
L.G. me, too, the movement, I mean. It's not happening as often as it should.
Arlee, yeah, so easy to get in a "rut." I think us creative types do get bored and need to change things up every once in awhile.
Karen

Joanne said...

I like daily routine, and pretty much stick to it. To-do lists are part of that routine too, keeping everything in order for me as I go. I don't stray off too often ...

Tracy Makara said...

I am getting a little better at trying to keep a routine but I know exactly what you mean! I do not know why I do it either.

Manzanita said...

Me too. Has to be done in order. I see you eat then exercise. I have to exercise as soon as I get up and then eat. If I eat first, there goes my whole routine. Such creatures of habit we are... Oh well.
Love, Manzanita

Karen Walker said...

I had to leave yesterday for a singing engagement, so I missed some lovely comments.

Joanne, you're lucky you can stick to it - I think I do get bored.
Tracy, sigh!
Manzanita, if I ate a lot I'd have to do it before also, but I don't and I wake up hungry cause I don't eat after 5 pm.
Karen

Jessica Bell said...

Yep! The trick is to not analyze every move you make otherwise you drive yourself nuts over thinking everything! :) Been there!

K.C. Woolf said...

Maybe you also crave the variety?

I know I do. I've never been able to stick to routines. As soon as I have one, I need to break it. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have that trait, but it probably has its good sides. (I hope. =) )

MontanaView said...

We all do it... I just got done with a 21 Day Meditation Challenge and even though I missed a few days here and there, I never gave up. I didn't accomplish 21 Days in a row, but I made it through to 21 Days. I feel accomplished! So just keep starting over, nothing wrong with that.