Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Musings - having fun again

As many of you know, I had a rough patch there for awhile, but I slowly made my way back to myself and am once again having fun. Sugartime is going great guns - we've had several gigs that were just a blast and I am folk dancing about once a month so I don't blow my knee out too soon. Both of those things make my heart do a happy dance.

Another thing that's made a huge difference is I've changed my morning routine around. Before, I blogged first thing after breakfast, and before I knew it, the day was gone and I hadn't exercised or written a word. Now, right after eating, I exercise, only I'm not calling it that. I'm calling it "movement." Much more appealing, don't you think? Then I meditate to get myself into the right frame of mind to write.
Then I am free to blog and surf the net or whatever else I feel like doing.

It's fun having fun again. How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

22 comments:

KarenG said...

Glad you got it figured out, Karen!

Tracy Jo said...

Love it! Glad you found yourself again and happiness. Movement and Meditation...perfect way to start the day. :-) Happy Monday!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You found what works for you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Once my tour is over I need to set up an easier schedule.
Glad you're happy again!

Mason Canyon said...

Glad things are getting on track for you. Sounds like your new routine works good.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Karen. At least it's figured out for this moment. Now I just have to stick with it.
Tracy Jo, Love the alliteration.
Diane, for today, at least.
Alex, I can't imagine you slowing down, but good luck with that!
Mason, so far so good.
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

I think most of us do better within boundaries. I've had to give myself a specified amount of time for blogging. You're so right. It can take over a day if you let it.

Claudia Moser said...

Happy you are back, and full of energy!

~Sia McKye~ said...

So, you do musings on Monday too, huh. I didn't catch that before.

Glad things are going well for you, Karen. Knee stuff sucks, been there and doing that. And I hear you on routines. Blogs can rob you of all your time and energy and you have little left over for you're own writing.I have to pace myself and sometimes that means not getting to everyone right away. Sometimes it's the next day.

Happy writing.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Karen Walker said...

L.G., the problem with routines is sticking with it or having other things interrupt them.
Claudia, thank you!
Sia, yes, been doing Monday musings for a long time now. Great minds and all that....
Karen

Jennifer Shirk said...

That's great, Karen! You do have to take care of yourself FIRST! :)

Tonja said...

I changed my morning routine too. I used to be amazingly productive on the mornings when I had a block of time to write. Not so much lately. It's the blogging getting in the way - mostly taking time to read and comment on other peoples' blogs.

I feel kind of guilty about it, actually selfish, but now I'm writing first until I'm done and using the remaining time to visit posts. I feel less connected but my word count is soaring. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. good to have you back .. and feeling more organised. I must change my life around too .. at least the longer days are on their way.

I'm doing an awful lot of volunteer work .. so that's making me re-sort my life .. and that process includes writing ..

Anyway it's great to have you around again .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Jennifer, if we don't take care of ourselves, who will?
Tracy, that's awesome.
Hilary, thanks so much. I appreciate that.
Karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Pleased you found yourself Karen, I have much re-thinking to do with my life,

Yvonne.

DL Hammons said...

I was recently forced to change my routine (thanks to work restrictions) and I'm still looking for that happy medium between it all. I'm happy you found yours though! :)

Ann Best said...

Yeah. I think I too need to start calling it movement and do it right after breakfast!! Otherwise, my good intentions....

So nice to see your lovely face over at Glynis Smy's place just now. Thanks for stopping by to visit!

Love and happiness to you all week, Karen!!!
Ann Best, Memoir Author of In the Mirror & Imprisoned

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, re-thinking can be a really good thing.
DL, at least for today, LOL.
Ann, it was lovely to see yours, too
Karen

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

I think that's a really smart switch. I find that I can use up all my morning energy with blogging and then don't feel like writing. Exercise, then meditation, then writing is much better. Then You can piddle around in bloggiland while the evening news is on - like I'm doing now!! xoxo

Better is Possible said...

Not much better than fun. Glad to read about your revised plan.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm glad things are back on an even keel for you again. I think I'm gonna have to borrow a page out of your book, and move blogging farther down on the priority list.

Siv Maria said...

Nice to see you cheerful again, winter get to the best of us but spring is now around the corner!