Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Musings - Looking ahead versus being in the moment

I love planning ahead. I am a superb organizer and detail person and have always excelled and planning and executing things, both in my career and in my personal life. We plan vacations way in advance so there are no surprises at the last minute. Unexpected things stress me out so I try to minimize them.

I have a lot to look forward to this year--a lovely road trip with hubby to several national parks, a really close friend is getting married, Sugartime has lots of performances scheduled, and my writing is moving along nicely. But looking forward keeps me from being in the moment. So, I am learning to bring myself back to the here and now. And right now, this moment, my priority is to allow this novel to emerge. And to do that, I need to spend time with it each day.

How about you? Are you a planner or do you spend your time in the present moment?
Blessings,
Karen

23 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

I must admit that I am a planner, but also like to be surprised from time to time, but control is part of my life!

Mason Canyon said...

I try to plan but somehow wind up getting lost in the moment. My goal is to be better organized and have at least a few things in my life planned out. Have a great Monday.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

Interesting question. I'm definitely a planner, with a weekly writing to-do list, and other lists as things come up. But, the to-do lists actually help me be in the moment more effectively, with the focus they give me.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm a planner and I think that frequently pulls me out of the moment! Thanks for helping me think of other ways to approach my day.

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Both. I plan events and trips and can be preoccupied with the details. But, I've learned to take a pause and be in the moment, too. Not always, but I do make an effort.

Play off the Page

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, yes, control is a key component with this issue as well.
Mason, good luck with that!
Joanne, I like that - using it to focus
Elizabeth, thanks
Mary,it's not easy, is it?
Karen

Talli Roland said...

I love thinking about and planning things. It helps me savour experiences. For me, a lot of the fun is in the anticipation!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband is the trip planner - for everything else, it's me. Sometimes it backfires, because I leave so little room for spontaneity.

Karen Walker said...

Talli, yes, I agree, the anticipation is so much a part of the fun.
Oh, Diane, me, too. We have to work at not scheduling every single minute.
Karen

Annalisa Crawford said...

This is going to sound really sad (but it isn't meant to be), I have nothing to look forward to, so everything I do is in the moment. I don't mind it. A couple of years ago I realised I only looked ahead, and I was missing out on a lot of stuff (a period of depression, so I don't want to repeat that!)

Tracy Jo said...

Those road trips sound great. I love Nat'l Parks. It is so nice having events to look forward to. I have always been a planner but have been practicing the last few years at staying in the moments. I am getting better and better at it. Sometimes the surprises are lovely!

Tracy Makara said...

Sounds like you have a ton of good stuff ahead! That's awesome :)

Me...I used to plan things to death. It was an old part of myself which had years of training in trying to maintain control in my life in whatever ways I could. Sometimes I still have a small moment of panic when something pops up out of the blue, but for the most part...I'm having a great time being more spontaneous.

DL Hammons said...

I try to do both. I'm a meticulous planner, but when it comes times to actually doing what I planned, I try to remain flexible enough to allow the plan to change so that I don't miss out on unexpected possibilities. Not always easy, but I'm always striving for that balance. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've gotten better about planning. Used to always live in the moment.

Belle said...

It seems like a person needs to strike a balance. It is good to live in the moment - to enjoy what is happening right now. But we also have to plan. I'd say I'm not the best planner but I do plan some things.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm a bit of both. I like to have a vision of what's going to happen, but I don't mind changing it at all. :)

Karen Walker said...

Wow, fabulous comments here, folks. Thank you. I was gone for most of the day and missed out on the discussion. But it sounds as if we're all in agreement that planning is good but remaining open to changes in plans is also good. Spontaneous events can be so much fun!
Karen

Suze said...

Hello, my dear Karen. I am glad to hear your writing is moving along nicely. Last we met, it was day three and going strong. I keep mulling over your words about staying connected -- certainly a moment-to-moment kind of practice.

Stay well!

Jeremy Bates said...

I do like to plan whenever possible, however, I always try to stay in the moment so I don't have to revert to the past to see what I did.

Does that make sense? I ask because I ate two very sugary (and delicious) Krispy Kreme donuts and want eleventy-seven more!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

When I have a lot of things to do within a specific time frame, I plan and schedule out the wazoo, and function quite well. But I prefer to be free enough to seize the surprise moments when they arise and throw routine and prior plans out the window. Guess that makes me a hybrid.

Carol Kilgore said...

If I don't plan ahead, I'm never in the moment but flying around trying to figure out what to do first.

Crystal Pistol said...

I soend my time in the present moment as much as possible without my life fallingt apart around me.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. you actually sound more settled and relaxed, which is so good to see.

Delighted you've got some trips planned and those events - the wedding and your bookings - ensure your life is fullish and fulfilled - which gives you time in the day to think and be.

Also you know you can write because so much else is 'ready' ... so pleased for you ..

I like to know what I'm doing - for now I travel my path with my mother .. mulling and thinking about the days ahead, without getting frustrated that life is passing me by. I give back to others where I can .. with time and chat ...

Cheers and delighted to read this - Hilary