Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - a new self-help tool

On Sunday I caught a few minutes of an Oprah show on her network called Soul Sunday. She had one of my favorite authors on, Gary Zukav, who wrote "Seat of the Soul." He was talking about the difference between our personality and our soul (or higher self). The negative emotions we feel such as jealousy, anger, fear, etc. are our personality. When we know we are spiritual, creative beings, it is our higher self operating. The new tool is about what to do when we catch our personalities behaving in ways we don't want. Zukav said to catch yourself when the impulse comes up to say or do something hurtful or destructive and rather then respond externally, go inward. There, search for the underlying cause of whatever triggered your negative feelings. It is almost always fear, and underneath that is powerlessness, and underneath that is unworthiness. This is brilliant folks stuff. What you do then is have the power to choose your response, rather than just go on automatic pilot. I just love this, don't you?

Blessings,
Karen

21 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A great post Karen, I agree with what you have written.
I believe to every negative problem is a positive outcome.

Yvonne.

Joanne said...

I like this, because I've always felt that just about everything, from where we are in life to how we feel, is or can be controlled by our own choice. It's a very powerful option we all have.

Claudia Moser said...

It is a good advice but hard to follow, most of the times, it takes discipline!

Helen Ginger said...

I do like that, Karen. Stop yourself from saying or doing hurtful things. Not only do you hurt that person, in the end, you hurt yourself.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, I'm not so sure there is always a positive outcome, but if I can feel okay about my response to it, and know I haven't hurt myself or others, than that's okay.
Yes, Joanne, it is all about being aware enough to make conscious choices.
Claudia, yes it does take discipline and conscious effort to remain present and aware.
Helen, I've worked on this for years, but I finally feel this is a tool I can actually make work for me.
Karen

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it is such a good point - and 'think before we speak' .. then we get time to go inwards and realise by "the outing" - it won't help anything .. smile and move on ..

Love the comments too .. cheers Hilary

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

It's not that the emotions are "negative." It's what we do with them. And, he's exactly right. We need to travel inward and understand where the trigger comes from.

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, yes, the comments here the last few days have been awesome. Quite wonderful discussions. Thanks for sharing.
Mary, yes yes yes
Karen

Tyrean Martinson said...

Definitely better to choose than go on automatic pilot.

Suze said...

Good morning, Karen -- let us put fear and powerlessness in their place!

Have a beautiful Tuesday, dear friend.

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

The toungue is a powerful weapon. I bite it often.
Can you tell me how you disabled word verification.

dreamweaver

Siv Maria said...

This kind of thinking is powerful. We choose how we respond to everything, knowing that we are alone responsible for our feelings helps us understand them better. Think about that next time you say to someone f.ex:, "You make me angry" and remember you are the one that made the choice to be angry.

Karen Walker said...

Tyrean, I spent so many years on auto pilot I just don't want to go back there.
Suze, yes let's
Debra, I'm still learning... about word verification it's under settings in blogger, I think - it was so long ago.
Siv, yes, it's very powerful and helping me tremendously to behave in better ways
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Like the difference between our imperfect earthly selves and our perfect Heavenly selves.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

There's a certain power in realizing we have the power to choose our reactions. We can't change anyone else's behavior, but we can consciously determine our response. And with conscious determination comes an outlet for kindness and tolerance.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes and yes and yes
Susan, so true.
Karen

Tracy Makara said...

Looks like we were on the same page yesterday! I really am going to have to read this book. Maybe it will help to restore a little of my faith huh? Great post Karen.

Tracy Jo said...

I need to read that book. I do this but need more practice. Totally love it and so good to remember we have a choice. The moments that I do act in a way that I don't want to...I only end up hurting myself. Thank you Karen!

Talli Roland said...

I love it, but I reckon it sounds a lot easier than it is. When you're hurt or angry, it's tough to gain internal perspective. Still, if you can remember to try, that's probably half the battle.

K.C. Woolf said...

Wonderful advice, and definitely something to practise and strive for.

Thanks, Karen!

Arlee Bird said...

This may be easier said than done for some of us. I tend to be pretty careful most of the time, but when I do missspeak it can be a pretty bad thing.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Voting for A to Z Video Contest Now Open