Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - the truth about why I sing

Okay, my telling the truth Tuesday segment has been about telling the absolute truth. That doesn't mean I have to share every deep, dark secret I have. Oops, I've already done that in my memoir. But it does mean that if my telling the truth might help someone else discover theirs, so be it. I'm willing.

I'm re-reading Gary Zukav's "Seat of the Soul" and in it he talks about intention. About how getting clear about our real intentions helps us be more in touch with our soul's desires. So I asked myself why I go and sing in public when, according to one of my best friends, "you don't have the best voice in the world."

The top intention was, it makes me happy. Underneath that was, it brings the audience joy. But there was another intention lurking underneath those two. The little girl who still lives inside me--the one who was sexually abused at 7 and whose daddy called her a whore at 7 because she wore lipstick at her first dance recital and quit dancing after that--desperately wants someone to admire her and say, "Oh, Karen, you have a wonderful voice. You are so good."

Recognizing that this was a core, unconscious motivation perhaps paved the way for the relaxation that came on Friday because I could honor the little girl who was so hurt and so desperate for that kind of attention, but know that as a 63-year-old amateur, that may never happen and that is not the right intention to have. I simply have to be me and let my light shine.

What are you intentions in your life?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And despite all that, I bet you really do have a wonderful voice.

Joanne said...

Some of the best singers don't have the best voice in the world. It's their delivery, and how they manipulate the voice, and the story behind all that which makes for the beautiful singing.

Sugartime said...

Alex, you're sweet, but ahhh, not so much.
Joanne, that is the truth, absolutely and that's what I count on.
Karen

Tracy Makara said...

Karen, this is such a heartfelt post. I am glad that you are...as you put it...being you and letting your light shine. Getting past those messages planted in our heads at such a young age is difficult because we strive throughout our lives to hear otherwise and prove them wrong. You, my friend are beautiful and wonderful...not any of those ugly things which you were told that you were as a child. Yes, I know that we've never met in person...but to say that you are wonderful and beautiful...I do not have to meet you in person. Reading your blog and corresponding with you have been plenty to let me know that these things are true. *HUGS*

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, that is so true. There are so many things we do that are based on past experiences, some of which we don't even remember.

Karen Walker said...

Tracy, you are so kind. Thank you for this very thoughtful and loving comment.
Diane, ah yes.
Karen

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Keep singing and sharing those stories. You sing and write and connect because that is how you let your little light shine.
Shine on!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

This resonates with me for several reasons: when I was little I thought I had a GREAT voice, but I didn't! One day my 3rd grade teacher asked who taught me to sing and I proudly said, "My DADDY did!" My dad had a beautiful voice. It wasn't until I was grown-up that I realized the teacher was making fun of me!!! My voice and ability to carry a tune have improved, but I'm best when singing with others, not alone. But I LOVE to sing and screw anyone who EVER tries to diminish the joy you take from singing your heart out.

My intention now is to live a simple yet abundant life, to try to release my attachment to the believe that material things bring security, and to "do what I love, in places where I feel I belong, surrounded by people who make feel loved and supported."

I'm sure we'll still manage to meet up some day!
xoxo

Siobhan said...

Wow. What an inspirational blog! Hi there. I'm just popping by from the insecure writers' linky list just to view other blogs. Stop by my blog if you wish. p.s. new member of your blog here. Your book is on my reading list now.

Arlee Bird said...

I've been thinking a lot about intentions this week--not just my own but those of others. After an incident this past Sunday with some people I trusted it put be in contemplation of what their intentions might be and at the same time my own. Intentions are the key to our actions.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge


View My Stats