Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, March 23, 2012

Trust

A few posts ago I wrote about routines, questioning why, when I figure out something that works, I still find it difficult sometimes to make myself do what I know works. Part of it is that I get bored easily. But what it's really about is trust--trusting myself, trusting my process, and trusting the journey. Perhaps if, one day, I don't feel like writing, it just might be that I need more time to mull and allow my subconscious to work. And if I don't feel like exercising, it just might be that my body needs a day off.

There are good reasons I don't trust myself. But they are old reasons. Reasons that no longer matter. I am not the same person who made bad choices. It's time to refresh my internal computer, upload new software, use new applications, hmm, I like this metaphor. Oh how I wish it were that easy to refresh the tapes running through our heads. But bringing them out of the darkness and into the light of awareness is a great first step. So today, I am going to begin to trust myself.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

My problem is not that I get bored, but is that I become interested in too many things and can't get everything done that I'd like and as a consequence a lot gets neglected. I fear that my internal computer is going to crash. Maybe I need to clean out some of the internal programs and downsize.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Like Lee I don't get bored but have too many interests, like blogging, blogfest, concerts, travelling and family visiting.
I enjoy all of it and missed blogging terribly whilst I was away last week-end.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Refreshing just takes practice.

Karen Walker said...

Arlee Bird, sounds good to me.
Yvonne, but I bet you're having so much fun!
Alex, as with everything, practice practice practice.
Karen

Joanne said...

At one time in my life, I just threw out my internal computer, completely. Just let it go and didn't look back. Then I started fresh with a new one and forged ahead with my very-own custom designed software. It's been a good choice.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Trust the new you, Karen. You are far wiser now.

Claudia Moser said...

All I can say is- well done!

Karen Walker said...

Joanne, that's so courageous. Good for you!
Diane, I am, I am.
Claudia, thank you.
Karen

Jemi Fraser said...

Good for you! It is hard to trust ourselves - but we've got to keep trying :)

Native American Gypsy said...

Thank you for writing this. It seems I need to do the same thing. Glad you're trusting yourself again!

Siobhan said...

Dito with Arlee Bird.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. you're on the right track and I love everyone's comments - it's not easy to step away from old habits - but bloggers give us that confidence to change, to adapt, to try new things and to test the writing waters here ..

I too have so many things I'd love to do - but hold myself back while my Mama is still alive and do what I can for her without frittering my own life - a difficult balancing act ... I keep in touch with friends and family, sadly life ticks on - but there's not much I can do about that for now. Keep healthy and wise perhaps!!

Cheers and enjoy your weekend .. singing, dancing, relaxing and just smiling with life - Hilary

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

I'm getting a "Select all delete" feeling from these comments. Might be time to do something completely new. I'm thinking of lyrics to a church song I like "I will teach them a brand new song." Sing a new song, Karen!

Tracy said...

So how's that working for you? It's hard to trust in yourself if you have old baggage but it's a journey; not a destination!
...getting ready for the A to Z Challenge so checking out blogs that are involved. It was lovely to meet you!

momto8 said...

Catholics have the remedy..it is called offering it up...and it works!!! because it gives a purpose and reason for everything...and that is motivating!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Tonja said...

Great post. I know what you mean.

Kylie said...

Hi Karen, Another great post that I can really relate to! I, too, am in the process of uploading new software.