Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "E" - Energy

This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

“E” - Energy
Everything we are, everything we do, everything we eat, smell, touch, is energy. When I finally realized this, and that wasn’t too long ago, I realized I had to portion out my energy so I didn’t use it all up. One of the hardest things about growing older is that there is less energy to do the same things that used to use up less. I wear out faster. But there is also energy for inner work and when my physical body needs a rest, my spiritual energy takes over. I am so grateful for this awareness about energy and how I can use my energy best in my life.


How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

24 comments:

Tonja said...

For those of us that are introverts, we need to take time to recharge.

Susan Roebuck said...

Oh yes, the energy levels are certainly dwindling! We need time for ourselves during the day to reboot, no doubt.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I've never thought of it that way...what a wonderful insight!

Huntress said...

So my inner energy needs to compensate for my outer energy. Hm.

"Hear that, Inner Energy? Get to work!"

LOL. Great post.

Theresa Milstein said...

I know someone who acutely feels electricity. She has to minimize what she has on around her.

Bish Denham said...

Yep, I may not have the physical energy I once had, but the mind is still active!

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

And, there are those who fuel that energy, and those who suck it right out of you.

Play off the Page

Karen Walker said...

Tonya, that is especially true
Susan, reboot - I like that
Elizabeth, thanks
Huntress, I like your attitude!
Theresa, hmm, that's really interesting
Bish, from what I see of the elders around me, that is how it is
Mary, amen!

Heather M. Gardner said...

I don't know about spiritual energy but I know that I can count on my mind to keep spinning even if my butt needs a rest!
Heather

welcome to my world of poetry said...

We all need to recharge our batteries at some point.

A good E word post.

Yvonne.

Suze said...

'when my physical body needs a rest, my spiritual energy takes over.'

I wonder if they have two different sources.

Ruth said...

I always feel like I have plenty of energy until I sit down and relax. I lose all energy and have in fact fallen asleep.

Tracy said...

Ummm, how often do we complain about NOT having enough energy? I catch myself doing that and wondering if it is just a habit!
great E post...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At some point our body just laughs and tells us we aren't young anymore.

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Heather, tell me about it. And why does that happen when we're supposed to be asleep?
Yvonne, yes, it's about learning when to do it before we're depleted.
Suze, great question.
Ruth, LOL
Tracy, thanks
Alex, yup
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

Good choice for the post theme!

Tracy Jo said...

Same here. I even created a pie chart and have it on the wall. Also...the less energy I give to negative people, forces in my life...the healthier my inner energy feels. :-)

Spacerguy said...

Eating chocolate is a great way to recharge the energy banks.

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, thanks so much
Tracy Jo, me, too - the pie chart I mean
spacerguy - oh if I could only eat chocolate
Karen

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm definitely finding it harder to find the level of energy I enjoyed years ago! But I usually manage to get through the day with a smile - so that counts for something! :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I joined an extreme fitness club in January. Each session (6 days a week) is 45-55 minutes long. I use up so much energy while I am there, but have found after my post workout nap, I have lots of energy. :)

Sean McLachlan said...

Solitude and a good book are the best ways for me to recharge my batteries!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. couldn't agree more - Energy is a great capacity in that we can mould it to our needs, to a point .. we adapt to what we can and can't do ..

Cheers Hilary

jesstopper said...

I love your posts, so succinct! This one on Energy really struck me. I am guilty of not always listening to my body and need to become more aware. Best wishes for the rest of the challenge - looking forward to reading more!