Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Saturday, April 7, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "G)

This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

“G”
I love to play games, so today’s post is about that. I am grateful to all those who invented my favorite games: Charades, Monopoly, Scrabble, Canasta and mah jong. Charades is such a fun party game and is great for all ages. Our folk dance community has children, young adults, and those of us with grown children. We can all play, although we don’t always know the references.
Each of these games definitely include laughter, which is such good medicine, as we all know.
What are some of your favorite games?
Blessings,
Karen

23 comments:

Glynis said...

I love charades! Every New Year our neighbours used to gather at ours and play. Great fun!

Manzanita said...

Since I grew up in cold climes, we always gathered evenings for games. That was before TV. In most households it seems that TV put an end to most games and now the kids play the electronic games alone. Too bad. They miss out on learning social interacting.

Tracy Jo said...

I love scrabble! I just turned Terry onto it over the holidays. Now he is addicted and even plays Words with Friends on his iPhone so he can get better. ;-) Have a great weekend!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

When my husband was alive we used to play scrabble often. I haven't played it since he passed away.
Enjoyed reading your G post.

Happy Easter.
Yvonne.

L.G.Smith said...

Scrabble is probably my favorite. Monopoly always gets too monotonous for me. And card games can get crazy competitive. :)

Karen Walker said...

Glynis, Charades is such a cool game to play at a party
Manzanita, yes, I agree
Tracy Jo, I never get to play scrabble anymore.
Yvonne, that makes me sad.
L.G., I haven't played Monopoly in awhile, but I'll bet you're right. The only card game I play is Canasta, and our friends are not that competitive.
Karen

Tracy Makara said...

Mom and I used to play Canasta all the time and it was so much fun. Also love Trivial Pursuit, Fact or Crap, Yahtzee, and another dice game called Zilch. :)

Claudia Moser said...

Love your choice for G. Favorite games? Monopoly type :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

At the moment I am a Scrabble addict. I like Monopoly, but my husband doesn't like to play with me anymore. He can get all of the big properties and put hotels out and I'll still win.

Laura Eno said...

I used to play Yahtzee all the time but haven't played any games in awhile. I'm always writing!

Guilie said...

Excellent post, and excellent word choice! Gratitude is a powerful, powerful thing. I *love* charades, but I don't get much of a chance to play nowadays (I live among very shy and self-conscious people). Scrabble I was never any good at, but Mah Jong is an absolute favorite--LOVE it and can play it for hours (and hours and hours). Uno's also cool, and Othello--ever played that?

Thanks for the visit to my blog earlier!

Shelly said...

Scrabble has to be one of my favorites, and I also enjoy Trivial Pursuit. Enjoyed this post!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My favorite are computer RPG and any kind of trivia game.

Deana said...

I love game too! My favorites of late are ones that my kids can join in on. The Great Dalmoody is a good one and you just can't go wrong with Uno:)

Donna Shields said...

Monopoly and Scrabble for sure.

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Those are good. Guesstures is the fast-paced charades. I also like "Would you Rather" and word games. My mom's favorite is Scrabble.

Play off the Page

Jemi Fraser said...

I love Jeopardy, Scrabble & most trivia games :)

Theresa Milstein said...

I used to love Mah Jong. I was sad when the group disbanded. Need to find another group.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Love playing board games or doing puzzles with my family.
Makes for a great time!
Heather

Nick Wilford said...

At family gatherings I always get everyone playing charades even if they'd rather not! Pictionary is good too. Anything that can involve the kids.

Suze said...

We all love Charades in my family, too!

My husband, daughter and I love to play guessing games and ask each other about our favorite this or that over a shared dessert. We also love Scrabble and have a couple of the 'Scene It' games.

Mama J said...

I love Trival Pursuit. Never win but it's fun.

Cherie said...

hi...
I love to play games too in my leisure time.
online games are now spread in every socialnetworking.
I play cafeworld, toyvillage, etc.

nice posting Karen...


View My Stats