Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gratitude - Letter ' J"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/


"J"

I am grateful today for the word "just." It has so many meanings that really speak to me. First, let's take it as it relates to justice, which means it is the right and "just" thing to do. Then there's "it's just me here," which says to me, "I'm enough." Or there's "just in time," which means I made it right when I was supposed to or I might have missed something crucial. And then there's "Just you wait," which means take a pause. I just thing just is such a great word, I just had to use it as many times as I could.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

27 comments:

Jules said...

Oh, I like your choice here. But you forgot, "Just because." Which says the voices inside are speaking louder than those on the outside. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Claudia Moser said...

Love the word!

Karen Walker said...

Jules, you are right!
Claudia, so glad.
Karen

SweetMarie83 said...

Great word! I personally like it...so much in fact, that I tend to overuse it in my writing, haha. During the editing process I find myself taking out 'just' a lot because it's how I talk in everyday life, but it's not necessary in the writing.
Have a great day!

Joanne said...

Hi Karen, It's just me, just stopping by for a visit. Saying hello and hoping your day is just great ;)

Rob-bear said...

I was posting about "just" today too — meaning good, fair, and the like. As in Justice. But I didn't finish, so I'll add some more tomorrow.

Lucy Adams said...

"Just" is my go-to word. I waaay over-use it. Most southerners do. When I proof read a piece, I keep my radar up for "just."

Lucy

Liz Fichera said...

"Just" and "even" are probably my two most used words. Not sure why, exactly. I also like Just before verbs--e.g. Just Listen, Just Watch, Just Be Still, etc. It's a small word but it is mighty! :)

Stephen Tremp said...

I heard just is the most overused word in the English language. But I don;t care. I use it anyway. It is a great word.

L.G.Smith said...

I have an abusively dependent relationship with the word just. But it's just so darn good looking and always says just the right thing.

kmckendry said...

I use it all the time...probably just a little too much! :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A good word Karen.

Yvonne.

Sarah Allen said...

I thought about doing this word today too, actually :) It's just a good one!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Glynis said...

Just is a good word choice. Just because I can...I like that phrase.

Take care, just so you know I think of you. x

Paula Martin said...

It's a great word - which is why I overuse it in my writing and then have to go through and delete!

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

It's one that I tend to overuse, but I like that you pointed out its justice purpose.

Play off the Page

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just is definitely one of my overused words! I just can't help it. Crap! See?

Heather M. Gardner said...

I like you...just the way you are!
Great J!
Heather

L. Diane Wolfe said...

As Billy Joel says, "I love you just the way you are."

Cassam said...

Enjoyed reading, just visiting from Ato Z challenge.

Emily said...

Awesome post! I love that I found your blog.

I use the word just a lot in my own writing and blogging. It really is a great word!

Lynda R Young said...

I'd not looked at this word in quite this way before. :)
It's better than I realised.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love Just! I always have to do a thorough check in my stories because I always overuse it! :)

Stephanie said...

I love your interpretation of "There's just me here". Just lovely!

Tracy Makara said...

Nice post Karen...great choice of word for J day! I am with some of the others in that I probably overuse the word. It's so versatile that it is difficult to stay away! :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. "Just Now" is a South African phrase - meaning sometime!!

Cheers Hilary

Pk Hrezo said...

I'm a "just" abuser. I have to weed that word out of my mss when I edit. I just love it so much....lol... there i go again...