Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "K"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"K"


How can I not be grateful for kindness. Imagine what the world would be like if we were all kind to one another in every moment, in every situation, with every person we come in contact with. I am spending a lot of time thinking about intention and how that comes from living life consciously. In every moment, if I am awake and aware, I have a choice about how I think, feel and act. Gary Zukav, author of "Seat of the Soul," says if we would only pause before acting or speaking to allow a gap of time between the impulse to do or say something harmful or destructive to ourselves or to others, then we would give ourselves the opportunity to choose, rather than go on automatic pilot. Isn't that brilliant?

So, be kind to one another, okay?
Blessings,
Karen

25 comments:

Manzanita said...

So true. The choice is up to us how we behave toward others. It's so much easier to live surrounded by kind people and in complete harmony.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband says everyone has a little man in their mouths who catches the bad stuff before it spills out. Some people just don't employ their little man.

Claudia Moser said...

Loved this, I usually try to write down what I think and then I will edit it and tone it down!

Karen Walker said...

Manzanita, the key word is choice, but we have to be conscious so we can choose - so many times we're on auto-pilot.
Diane, I love love this - employ the little man.
Claudia, if I have time, I do the same thing.
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Wouldn't it be an amazing world if everyone's intentions came from a place of kindness?

Tracy said...

great post Karen...no greater act than kindness~ I love it! Kindness is my daily goal because you never know who's day you will change!
:)

Jennifer Lane said...

I love your gratitude theme, Karen. Studies show that the more we focus on what we're grateful for, the happier we are, so I hope you and your followers are experiencing a happiness boost this month.

Kindness is SUCH an important quality in people.

Ann Best said...

Kindness is SO needed right now -- and all the time! We need to be SO careful as to what comes out of our mouths. Think before we speak! I think I'm getting better at this, especially as I get older -- I hope!!

Yes, Karen, we are definitely soul mates when it comes to movies. I'm confident that all who comment on my "The King and I" post are going to love it as much as we do!!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Think before we speak!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Amen. We have little control over the ACTIONS of life: what challenges it hands us, or what other people say and do to us, but we always have the freedom to choose our REACTIONS. If we all tempered our reactions with kindness, this would be a better world.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. we were taught this - but I'm not sure it sinks in to many of us .. as Alex says "Think before we speak" .. but as you say be kind to everyone ..

Cheers Hilary

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Wonderful uplifting post Karen.

Yvonne.

Tracy Jo said...

That is brilliant. I am learning to just stay quiet too...sometimes people are only looking for a reaction. Hey, I wanted to ask you...did you read Steve Jobs, Sister's Eulogy? I just read it the other day, so awesome! Check it out if you haven't. :-)

Tracy Makara said...

Lovely post Karen. I'm definitely a fan of kindness. :)

Karen Walker said...

L.G., yes, it would be amazing. Wish it would happen.
Tracy, yes, that's so true.
Jennifer, I hope so, too.
Ann, yes, with age comes some wisdom and the ability to take a step back first.
Alex, I like that!
Susan, Amen!
Hilary, we were taught a lot of things we don't do, unfortunately.
Yvonne, thanks
Tracy Jo, yes I did read it and it was so moving.
Tracy, thanks
Karen

Chautona said...

We certainly are on the same wavelength. You said it well!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Kindness is a great choice for "K" -- sometimes all that's needed is a little smile.

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Isn't that something we start working on in Kindergarten? What happens during the rest of the grades?

Play off the Page

Jemi Fraser said...

Kindness is one of the most important human qualities! We have to nurture it for sure :)

Joyce Lansky said...

Or as Bill and Ted would say, "Be excellent to each other." Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Catch My Words
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

Susan Oloier said...

Oh, so true. Kindness and compassion have the power to completely change our world for the better.

OT Ebby said...

Great post that has obviously hit a nerve for lots of people! I'm making a return visit after you commented on my blog. I'm interested to hear more about your book on ageing.

Ebby

OT Ebby said...

oops- PS check out my J post, it might be of interest to you re ageing.
Good luck with the rest of the A-Z challenge!

Ebby

Pk Hrezo said...

Hey Karen!! I'm sorry I'm just now getting around to visit you... I've been a big time slacker extraorinaire in the blog world. But thanks so much for visiting me this past week. I always love seeing your bright shining face. Kindness is really what this community is all about. Bloggers like you always lift my spirits, :)

Heather M. Gardner said...

I wish I had read your post earlier. I needed that gap last night and I didn't choose wisely.
Heather