Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, April 13, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "L"

This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"L"

My gratitude word for today is "Listen." How many times have you been in a conversation and spent the entire time planning how you were going to respond to what the other person was saying? I spent most of my life communicating that way. I had to teach myself to focus and pay attention to the other person.  It's not always easy, especially if they are saying hurtful things. But if I truly listen, I am giving both them and me a gift.

The other important aspect of listening for me is to listen to myself. To my own inner voice and wisdom. To my body. What is it trying to tell me? What happens if I don't pay attention. Most of the time, if I don't listen, I get sick, or hurt, or miss an opportunity. Some negative consequence happens.

So I am learning to tune in more and more and listen, both to myself and to others.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

P.S.
I am out of town this weekend, but will catch up with everyone Sunday night.
Karen

11 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Both valuable lessons!

meditationmotivationinspiration said...

Yes I believe it is important to "Listen" to others and your inner self. Beautiful word of the day... Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

The bad news is we are having a repair done at an RV shop in Oklahoma City, the good news is it gives me a chance - finally - to visit!! I think that listening and letting the other person finish what they have to say helps to avoid so many arguments from escalating. Great L post.

Suze said...

Listening is a gift, as is truly seeing a person. A wonderful L post, Karen. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Allen said...

Something I definitely need to work on!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen ... enjoy the weekend - and listening is so important I agree - what you're doing to yourself and to others ...

Great letter L .. cheers Hilary

Tracy Jo said...

Both are so good to do...something we should all practice. My life changed when I started listening to my inner voice. Sometimes though...it still has to scream at me. :-)

Jennifer Lane said...

Karen, great point about listening not only to others but to yourself. Listening to myself is a great skill when I remember to apply it! In my job as a psychologist, listening to myself ironically makes me a better listener of others.

Ruth said...

I have talked to my sister about this before. It feels good when people listen to you so it is important to do the same to others.

Tracy Makara said...

I know that I say this almost every day, but Karen...this post is amazing. There is absolutely nothing that I could add to what you've written. Well said!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Trying to teach my six year old good listening skills too.
So busy talking that he never hears.
HMG