Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "M"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"M"


My gratitude today is for mindfulness. I spent so many years on auto-pilot. I can still lose myself in a movie or a novel. If I consciously choose to do that because I need down time, then that is fine. But if I am using that behavior to avoid feeling something, it isn't okay. Somehow the pain I am avoiding will be revealed, and usually not in a good way. So I am practicing mindfulness. Trying to live my life by being as conscious as possible in each and every moment. Setting intention for what I am doing, and being mindful each step of the way. Not easy, but I sure am more centered.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

P.S. I am out of town this weekend, but I will catch up with all of you Sunday night.
Karen

17 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Being motivated is my answer,
Enjoy your week-end.

Yvonne

Charmaine Clancy said...

Very thoughtful post.
Wagging Tales

Kylie said...

I find the practice of mindfulness very valuable albeit challenging at times. What a great thing to be grateful for! I am grateful for my recent learnings about being mindful.

Jemi Fraser said...

Good post Karen - I try to aovid the 'auto-pilot' mode of living too! Enjoy the weekend :)

L.G.Smith said...

I think I need to work on this more in my life. I do still find myself on autopilot sometimes and regret it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Disconnecting so we don't feel pain is a survival response but using it all the time is not good.

Tracy Makara said...

No matter how long it's been, it's really hard to stay out of old survival mode isn't it? What I have to be mindful of is shutting down and it is better...much better but I have to watch it. Used to be that it was almost like shutters coming down over me to distance myself from any and all things unpleasant. Great post!

Julie said...

This is something I'm working on, but I need to do much more. I always feel like it sounds easier than it actually is, and I find myself reverting to auto-pilot.

Carla Karam said...

Karen... what a wonderful post. Thank you for pointing out the obvious for me!! Here from the A to Z... http://takingbackmylifemakingitmyown.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love it when you mention mindfulness because it reminds me to keep trying to be more mindful in my life...always a goal and so hard for me to attain it.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Yeah. I do it too. But I have trouble finding my off button.
Great post.
Heather

Donna Martin said...

Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z challenge...lovely blog...good luck with the challenge!

Donna L Martin
www.donasdays.blogspot.com

wyldstatic said...

Love your theme. Love your posts. Love the blog. :) You're now on my "list". :)
Thank you.

Karen Walker said...

Whew! Just got home from a "retreat" weekend and a mineral hot springs spa and it is so lovely to find all these wonderful comments. I will do my best to visit everyone who stopped by during the next week.
Thank you all so much.
Karen

Siobhan said...

Your posts are always so mindful.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Your A to Z series is so good, Karen. I just scrolled back and caught up on the ones I've missed while wandering through the A to Z list of participants. I think it will take months and months to visit everyone.

Arlee Bird said...

Your philosophy sounds good.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Try my networking experiment