Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "P"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"P"


Oh, this one's easy. It's got to be Peter, Paul and Mary. They are probably the first folk group I ever heard.  Their songs, Blowin' in the Wind (I know, written by Dylan, but Peter, Paul and Mary's is the version I love best), Puff the Magic Dragon (which they say was Not about drugs), If I Had a Hammer, Leavin' on a Jet Plane (written by John Denver, but immortalized by Peter, Paul and Mary). They were so much a part of the 60s and consequently, of my growing up years. I got to see them a few years ago, about a year before Mary Travers died. I am so grateful for them individually, for their music, for their exquisite harmonies, and for what they stood for and how they helped those of us coming into our own, understand certain values and how to stand up for them.

Do you know their music? Here's a link to Blowin' in the Wind on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4g_1VoGw4

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Laura Eno said...

My very brief love affair with a guitar, when I was a teenager, featured most of their songs so I remember them well. :)

Laura
A to Z of Immortals, Myths & Legends

Claudia Moser said...

What a GREAT choice!

L.G.Smith said...

Oh, wow, that takes me back. Our family used to take road trips in the car during summer and my mother would play the 8 track tapes of Peter, Paul, and Mary over and over again.

Karen Walker said...

Laura, when I turned 50 and got a guitar, the first song I learned was Blowin' in the Wind. Still strumming away, but not very good at it.
Claudia, I would have thought you too young to know this particular group.
L.G. glad I brought back some memories - oops, hope they were good ones.
karen

Tracy Makara said...

I've heard several of the songs you mentioned...good stuff. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. Peter, Paul and Mary takes me back a few years - but I often had their songs on ..

Cheers Hilary

Joanne said...

Adding my salute to Peter, Paul and Mary. Beautiful and influential music, indeed.

CLR said...

Enjoyed hopping over to your blog for the A-Z after you moseyed on over to mine! I love the music of the 60s - grew up on it because I lived in a house where music always played and it was from the era of my parents.

Have fun on your road trip in May!
Carrie

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

My parents introduced me to this group when I was a kid...I loved listening to their Blowing in the Wind 45 record. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Everything has to be about drugs from that era, doesn't it? Come on folks, don't spoil my childhood.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I didn't know John Denver wrote that song.

Karen Walker said...

Tracy, I know I know, but their harmonies were stupendous.
Hilary, yes
Joanne, so influential in Civil Rights and Anti-War movements
CLR, thanks for the return visit
Elizabeth, that's wonderful
Alex, so sorry - you can still pretend!
Diane, yup!
Karen