Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "Q"

This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"Q"

My gratitude today is for those times when I can find real quiet. It's difficult in our world to really be in silence, because noise is everywhere. Airplanes, cars, horns, people, computer noises, television, radio, music, etc. I am lucky. I live in a quiet neighborhood in a small cul de sac with a small park behind our house. There are houses to either side of me, but no noise emanating from them. I hear dogs barking sometimes, but other than that, it's quiet in my home. I need that. To think, to meditate, to write. If I am surrounded by too much noise, I tend to withdraw inside myself and kind of shut down. I can handle it for a little while. But then, I need to get back to where it's quiet.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

22 comments:

Glynis said...

Quiet is good. Just sitting surrounded by a gentle bird song suits me fine.

Talli Roland said...

Yes! I am all about the quiet!

Tracy Makara said...

Karen, your choice for Q is perfect! I wracked my brain for a post idea and you nailed this perfectly. I need quiet too and it is so hard to get. Constant noise literally exhausts me.

Jacqueline Howett said...

Yes, I love my peace and quiet. I live in a very nice quiet end of the beach, just far enough away from all the buzz.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I love quiet with a little classical music in the background.

Sara said...

I think, because I grew up surrounded by chaos, three little sisters, two bedroom house etc. I grew to appreciate the noise.

Now I cant focus when places are too quiet, I prefer background noise that I can tune out.

Robin Weeks said...

I love that you're doing a month of gratitude! For me, quiet is okay, but I don't need it. My thoughts are usually much louder than anything else that's going on. :)

Liz Fichera said...

Quiet is good for the soul. That's why I love to hike in the middle of the desert. Nothing like the quiet you find in the desert.

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Those quiet spaces are so necessary to refuel, to relax, and to just be.

Play off the Page

Suze said...

Your peaceable home is good for quiet, Karen. Especially the garden, the way you have it set up with all the symbols of the eternal.

JoJo said...

I love quiet solitude too.

Visiting from A-Z
http://tahomabeadworks.blogspot.com/

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pure silence is rare. We learn to tune out traffic, computer hums, the A/C unit running, etc. So when it's really quiet, it's like a shock.

Haddock said...

To get a quiet neighbourhood is a real blessing and all are not so lucky.
(by the way there are many Jews in India especially in south India, the oldest temple is in Cochin, Kerala)

L.G.Smith said...

YAY FOR QUIET! I mean, yay for quiet...

I'm lucky to live in a quiet neighborhood too. There is a dog in the yard behind us who misbehaves whenever the squirrels get near and she barks her head off, but it doesn't happen everyday. Thanks goodness.

Claudia Moser said...

Similar theme for Q

Sherry Gloag said...

I live on the edge of a village surrounded by countryside and love it. It's not 'quiet', but the sounds of nature are the kind that feeds your soul.

http://sherrygloagtheheartofromance.blogspot.co.uk/

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Living on my own I have come to hate the word quiet.
I have my music playing but it's so lonely, thank goodness for blogging.

Yvonne.

Carol Kilgore said...

Total silence makes me a little bonkers, so it's a good thing I rarely have that. Sounds come in all shapes and sizes in my house. If I need real quiet, I play rock music through headphones. For me it works like silence because it helps me focus on the story in my head. I think it becomes white noise after the first little bit. Or maybe I'm just weird that way :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I like quiet and I like noisy chaos. Depends on my mood! :) But if I can't have some quiet time to myself each day, I get very stressed!

Nancy Stewart said...

Could not agree more! So necessary and so hard to find. Terrific blog.

Please take a look at my blog. I'm the author of the Bella and Britt series for kids.

Texas Playwright Chick said...

YES!! I so agree with you, there's so much going on around us all the time! I recently started to meditate just to force myself into some quiet time each day. I'm loving it, but I've actually had to put in ear plugs a couple times because even at home, there were lawn mowers and blowers making noise. Geesh! Great post!

Texas Playwright Chick

Jules said...

I like quite in moderation and due to my moderation... when it get's too noisy I turn the volume up and dance. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow