Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, April 20, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "R"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"R"

I had a post scheduled for "R" - it was reading. But Dick Clark died and so my "R" gratitude has to be Rock 'n Roll. Dick Clark and American Bandstand were so much a part of my childhood. Every day (yes, back in the day, American Bandstand was on every day, not just Saturdays), I would rush home from elementary school and get home in time to watch The Mickey Mouse Club and then American Bandstand. For those who don't know, it was a show that played music and kids danced. They'd rate the music based on how good it was to dance to. And there were live acts as well, from Stevie Wonder to Buddy Holly to Chubby Checker to Madonna. I wanted to much to be one of those kids dancing on the show.

Rock 'n Roll is so much a part of my soul. I began singing as soon as I could talk. First to my parents records (Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, etc.). At four I was singing along with Patsy Cline. But when Bill Hailey and the Comets hit American Bandstand and Elvis came along soon after, my life, and the life of so many others, was changed forever.

So here is my homage to Dick Clark - thank you for shining a light in what was otherwise a fairly dark childhood. And thanks for all the years of rock 'n roll pleasure you gave so many millions of people. We'll miss you.

Did you watch American Bandstand?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't know how we will bring in the New Year without him.
And by the time I started watching American Bandstand, it was just on Saturdays.

Karen Walker said...

I know - New Year's just won't be the same, Alex.
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

Sad news indeed!

Jessica Bell said...

I think that was a bit before my time, by I definitely heard of all these folks from my parents! Nice tribute :o)

Tracy Makara said...

Very nice Karen, the man was such a part of all of our lives and will be missed. American Bandstand was only on Saturdays by my time as Alex said but I remember watching and trying to imitate the dancers. :)

Karen Walker said...

Claudia,it surprised me just how deeply this affected me.
Jessica, of course it was before your time, sweetie. You could be my daughter!!
Tracy, me, too
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I was surprised when I heard the news. I know he'd struggled to do the New Year's Eve countdown since his stroke. It will be empty without him.

Shelly said...

I did watch AB in the 70's. There will never be another like him.

Libby said...

This is a very touching tribute to Dick Clark and to Rock. Thanks for sharing.

Manzanita said...

Good idea, Karen. I was always tuned into Dick Clark.... he was exactly my age. Geez, they're dropping like flies around me.

L.G.Smith said...

I don't think I knew American Bandstand used to be on every afternoon. It was only on Saturdays when I was a kid. I always loved it when Dick Clark got a couple up there to rate a new song. Without fail, they would say about the ones they liked -- it had a good beat that you could dance to. :)

Ruth said...

I remember my mom telling me that she used to watch American Bandstand every day after school. I most remember him from Bloopers and Practical Jokes.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yes, he struggled, but still came back to do it. This was a massive heart attack.
Shelly you are so right.
Libby, thank you
Manzanita, yeah, I know.
L.G. that's what I remember, it has a good beat and you can dance to it.
Ruth, yup, every day after school, without fail for me.
Karen

Tracy Jo said...

Yes! Loved ABS. Such a loss. Terry (my guy) really had a hard time...DC was one of his idols. Hope you have a great weekend!

Pk Hrezo said...

That was a bit before my time... but I remember hearing my parents talk about it. Yep, thank goodness for rock-n-roll!!

Pk Hrezo said...

ANd wow... the loss of Dick Clark is the loss of an American icon!