Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "T"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"T"

There's an old song called "Try a Little Tenderness" and those words mean so much, so that's my grateful word for the day - tenderness. Imagine the kind of world we'd have if we all spoke with a little more tenderness in our voices. Even words that might seem harsh would sound better if they were said tenderly. That doesn't mean you can say mean things tenderly and think that's okay. That's not what I'm saying. It's just we don't pay all that much attention to the tone we are using when we speak and if we come from a tender place, our words will be received so much better. What do you think?

Blessings,
Karen

24 comments:

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Yes. And, Love me Tender, too.

Play off the Page

Manzanita said...

That is so true, Karen and I love that song, too.

Claudia Moser said...

I agree :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Your T message came over well.
Great to read.

Yvonne.

Joanne said...

Yes, that delivery of our words can mean as much as the words themselves.

L.G.Smith said...

Probably something I need to work on. I think I can sound gruff sometimes without meaning to. And I love that song. Good choice. :)

DJ said...

Visiting back from A2Z...
I absolutely agree with your words. I used to and still envy Heidi Klum for how she tenderly she used to speak in Project Runway. Beautiful post :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Good reminder. And I love Otis Redding. :)

Liz Fichera said...

The Committments also did a great rendition of "Try a Little Tenderness."

Speaking with tenderness also implies, I think, that you care about your listener's needs as well as your own, maybe even more.

Well said, Karen, as usual. :)

Karen Walker said...

Mary, oh, yes, that fits as well
Manzanita, Norah Jones did a great version as well
Claudia, thanks
Yvonne, thank you
Joanne, yup
L.G., me, too
DJ, thank you
Elizabeth, me, too- haven't heard his version
Liz, guess it's more popular than I realized
Karen

Tracy Makara said...

I totally agree Karen. Great thought for today. Thank you for the reminder. :)

Patricia said...

Nice to meet you Karen. Love your site ( am now a follower). I agree with your post re tenderness. It is something that doesn't require time or effort, or cost... just a way of going about our life! Also,the post on Steve Jobs is amazing. It could easily be a motto for life.
Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

Karen Walker said...

Tracy, thanks
Patricia, thanks for the visit and follow back. I loved your blog as well.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Tone is everything. That's where online social media lacks. We can't hear the tone of how a sentence is said.

Leslie Rose said...

I think that's what my gramma was trying to tell me when she'd say, "You catch more flies with honey." Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good luck in the home stretch of the A to Z.

Tracy Jo said...

I totally agree...it is always in the delivery.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yes, it's what I dislike about email as well.
Leslie Rose, that's a great phrase and you're welcome.
Tracy Jo, yup
Karen

Cecilia M. said...

Hi Karen, What a great T post! I agree. Tone is really important when conveying something. Thanks for stopping, commenting on my post too. :) It's great to meet you.

Sandra Tyler said...

I should have read this post before I had to get my kids out the door this morning.:)) as for steve jobs, he was my husband's all time hero.

Catherine Stine said...

Hi Karen
I couldn't agree with you more! The world would be greatly enriched if we all spoke with warmth and thoughtfully.

Karen Walker said...

Cecelia, you are welcome
Sandra, if we'd all only learn to stop before we speak!
Catherine, ah yes,
Karen

Danielle L Zecher said...

That is so true. Sometimes our tone conveys so much more than our words. I talk a lot of nonsense to my pets, but I think it's the tone that makes them happy.

Dropping by from A to Z; it's nice to meet you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What is it they say about honey and vinegar?

Glynis said...

Tender moments are always special.