Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, April 23, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "U"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"U"

Understanding. This is a huge word, and I don't mean because it has 13 letters. So much conflict comes from misunderstanding. How many times have you mis-heard what someone said because you are thinking your own thoughts while the other person is speaking. Or you mis-interpreted what was meant because you made assumptions that just weren't true. Our relationships will flourish if we make an effort to understand ourselves better as well as really paying attention to others so we understand them as well. Understanding creates empathy which makes room for acceptance, even if there are differences of opinion. So I am extremely grateful for the understanding that has come to me through the years.
How about you? What do you understand to be true?

Blessings
Karen

16 comments:

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Good point about misunderstandings. We need to truly listen to each other.

Play off the Page

Cat Lavoie said...

Great post! The world definitely needs more understanding.

Ruth said...

That is so true!
And sometimes it isn't just what they say, but how others act that we should try to understand. People do lots of things and sometimes it helps to try and understand the meaning behind it.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A good issue you raised here Karen.

Yvonne.

Amy Brantley said...

Great post. Sometimes it can be hard to be understanding and sometimes we simply misunderstand each other.

Lindi said...

Hi Karen--I used understanding for my letter U, but with a little different focus. :) I do agree with what you said about listening better--something I really try to remember to do. I feel like I can often tell by the eyes if someone is paying close attention to what I'm saying.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

All it takes is some good communication.

Karen Walker said...

Mary, it would change the world.
Cat, yup!
Ruth, very true!
Thanks, Yvonne
Amy, very true - and I'm sorry, but I can't find your blog - when I click on your comment avatar it takes me to Google + - help!!!!
Lindi, the eyes are a great barometer for how well someone is paying attention.
Alex, yes, but it's a tall order.
Karen

Tracy Jo said...

So true! We let our egos get in the way thinking we know exactly what someone is saying...instead of really listening. Great post!

L.G.Smith said...

I really hate it when I'm misunderstood. I usually feel like the fault is mine for not communicating clearly, but sometimes I think people aren't really listening either. And I know I'm guilty of this sometimes as well.

It's most difficult I think on the blogs and forums where everything relies on the written word. In truth, so much of our communication as humans comes from facial expressions and gestures, which are obviously missing in this format. It can sometimes lead to misunderstanding.

gail said...

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Marcie said...

Your post is so true...I recognize myself in your post - I am the one who is thinking her own thoughts instead of listening...

Stopping by for the A-Z challenge!

Tracy Makara said...

Imagine how wonderful life would be if there were more understanding. Fantastic post Karen!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Understanding takes effort - it's an active response, and most people are passive.

Pk Hrezo said...

Indeed! Understanding and compassion go hand in hand.

Joy Ciaffoni said...

Wonderful post on a very important topic. I think I spent much of my childhood misunderstanding my mom. That is much better now. : )