Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Friday, April 27, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "X"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"X"

You're going to laugh, but I am grateful for the TV program "Xena, Warrior Princess." Why? Because she was a powerful female role model in a world which has few of those. She knew who she was. She had physical strength as well as physical beauty. She wasn't afraid of anything or anyone. She could take care of herself, yet be tender and loving at the same time to others. Writing this, I need to channel my inner Xena. How about you?

Blessings,
Karen

23 comments:

baygirl32 said...

warrior and princess are 2 great descriptors for strong women

Annalisa Crawford said...

She was definitely a great role model. I remember Wonder Woman from when I was little, but not very many others. Good choice.

Robyn Campbell said...

Excellent role models!!!! I am going to challenge my inner Xena. Yes! I want to know exactly who I am and not be afraid of anything! I wish girls had more bodacious role models. eXceptional X post. *waving*

Tracy Jo said...

I had forgotten about her! This is a great X post and I think I will channel her today too. :-)

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Karen, I think you KNOW from my posts that I totally need to channel Xena, Warrior Princess -thank you so much for that. And thanks for your comment on my last post - one thing I am learning/seeing so clearly as I go through this change is that we are all afraid of something - all of us. It's just something different - or sometimes we find someone whose fears are similar. It's so helpful when people just ante up that they are scared too, because it feels so much more supportive. We are all in this together- and you are so very welcomed and loved here, I believe.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Well said.
She was awesome.
Heather

Amy Brantley said...

Excellent post!

L.G.Smith said...

Ha! Kick ass women rule!

Have a great weekend, Miss Xena!

Karen Walker said...

Babygirl, yup!
Annalisa, but Wonder Woman was a cartoon character superhero,so she didn't feel "real" to me. I know that makes no sense at all.
Robyn, thanks
Tracy Jo, me, too
Melissa, you are very welcome and yes, we are all in this together. Altho' I wish I were in the RV with you guys traveling around!
Heather and Amy, thanks

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Xena was kick butt!

Claudia Moser said...

Xena is indeed a great role model!

~Sia McKye~ said...

No argument or laughter here. I loved Xena--even named a beloved cat after her (I was in an X mode at the time).

I love kick-ass women with a loving and soft side too.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Tracy Makara said...

Karen I totally love this! Finding that balance between tough and tender is a great thing to aspire to. Excellent post.

anthony stemke said...

Xena was a great female role model, good of you to remember her.

Holly Michael said...

Go Zena! I hoped over her from Melissa's site. Glad I did.
Holly

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Oh, me, too! And I'd reeeeeally like to be able to replicate that neat high-pitched warbling sound she made, too.

Kate O'Mara said...

Raised my girl on Xena... :)
#506 following
Kate
http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

Karen Walker said...

Alex, she sure was!
Claudia, yup!
Sia, yes, and there are so few of us (LOL)
Tracy, yup!
Anthony, I miss seeing her
Holly, thanks so much for the hop and the comment
Susan, oh yeah, I'd forgotten that - that would be way cool
Kate - lucky girl you have there - oh, I came to your blog and followed but couldn't leave a comment.
Karen

Patty said...

I've got a Xena Warrior Princess T-shirt. It always makes me feel powerful.

Karen Walker said...

Ooh, Patty, where did you get?
Karen

Jemi Fraser said...

I never watched Xena - but I did catch a few moments here and there. I love your choice! Gotta love a strong woman who can still be tender :)

November Rain - k~ said...

I let my inner Xena out and she refuses to come back in ;-)

Cari from Bubble Gum on my Shoe said...

I might have embraced my inner Xena a little too much. Have to reel that girl back in sometimes;) Love that you are A-Zing from a place of gratitude; very nice.


View My Stats