Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, April 27, 2012

Gratitude - Letter "Y"


This post is part of the 2012 A-Z challenge, created by the intrepid Arlee Bird at: http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

"Y"

I am grateful for the years I have lived my life (63 this month) and for the years that I hopefully have to come. A year is a long time in one's life. So much can change from one year to the next, not just how we age physically, but in the lives of those we love. It's hard being far away from loved ones. In my mind, I picture them the way I saw them last. Then when I see them again a year or so later, I am shocked at the differences. People who knew me 10 or 20 years ago would not know me now. And not just because I look different physically, but because I have changed so much. So I am grateful for the years of my life, whatever the rest of them may bring.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

22 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

I believe you have a very realistic approach to life Karen, respect for that!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Claudia. That means a lot.
Karen

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - Happy Birthday must be soon .. enjoy .. clever timing at the end of the A - Z!!

I too have changed so much since my mother became ill .. not sure it would have happened otherwise - I sometimes whether her illness is meant to be - for me. Strange.

It's been an interesting five years ..

Here's to many happy years ahead .. cheers Hilary

Amy Brantley said...

I've had good years and bad. What amazes me is how some years can go so fast, while others seem to drag on. Last year was one of those years. It was a very hard year and I was glad to see it come to an end.

fsmum said...

I am grateful that I have become a much more aware, positive and loving person in recent times. I spent most of my twenties and thirties in a fog of negativity. I am grateful that I woke up in time to enjoy the rest of my life!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Happy birthday, when it arrives. we don't seem to realise things change in our lives until sometime after it has happened Change comes gradual.
Enjoyed the post.

Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, thanks - it was 4/24 actually. Celebrated all week. It must be hard with your mom, but good for you for paying attention to how it's changing you.
Amy, I'm glad it's over for you.
Fsmom, that's wonderful. I, too, spent a lot of years in negativity.
Yvonne, thank you and you are so right.
Karen

Shelly said...

Happy birthday! I too am grateful for years. A couple of years ago, it took me two years to lose over 160 lbs. People who hadn't seen me in a year honestly didn't know me. That's fun, but a little disconcerting, too.

Tracy Jo said...

Happy birthday!! I am thankful too. For the different opportunities throughout the years and the lessons I have learned. It is amazing what can happen in 1 year!

Karen Walker said...

Shelley, 160 pounds? Wow. I've lost and maintained 63 pounds. That's a whole person you lost. Congrats!
Tracy Jo, it is amazing, isn't it?
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

I am grateful for the years on the inside. Still coming to terms with what they are doing to me on the outside. :)

Heather M. Gardner said...

I am grateful for all the things I said I didn't want because now I have them and I couldn't imagine life without them.
Great post, Karen.
1 more letter!
HMG

Karen Walker said...

L.G., I'm with you girlfriend - as long as I don't look in the mirror, I feel terrific and about 25.
Heather, wonderful and yes, one more to go. Can't wait.
Karen

Lynn said...

Someone I had not seen in 20 years said he recognized me by my eyes - I guess those don't change, except to look wiser, perhaps, from all we learn.

Tracy Makara said...

Karen, this is beautiful. Oh my, how much can change in just one year. I am grateful for the years too and like you am looking forward to the ones to come. When you think back on all of the things you've taken away from both the good and the bad, it paints a picture of the joy to come...born out of that wisdom. Hope this year is wonderful for you my friend.

Donna B. McNicol said...

I'll be 65 this year and every year amazes me with the changes I make and the chances I take. Motorcycling, zip-lining, this year I hope to do my first (and probably last) sky dive.

Life is too short...I lost my soul-mate after 19 years of marriage. I've been blessed to find another wonderful partner who was also widowed. We know we need to savor every day to the fullest.

Karen Walker said...

Lynn, I think you're right, the eyes do get wiser
Tracy, I wish the same for you
Donna, oh my, how lucky that you found someone else. We so need to savor each day.
Karen

Jo said...

Happy Birthday. You are still a young'un to me though LOL.

Actually in appearance I haven't changed much in a long time. I'm not sure I have changed that much in character either. The only place I have changed - that I am aware of - is many more aches and pains. A friend always says "when we were younger we talked of sex, now we are older we talk about our illnesses".

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

An am very different from the person I was twenty years ago. More mature and more appreciative. And a lot more concerned about other people.

Michael Pierce said...

It's funny how much your life can change in a year. My baby daughter has brought so much to be thankful for. I can't wait for the years to come. Great post. :)

Suze said...

Happy early birthday, dear friend.

I think this calls for getting together for a cuppa, soon.

Rosalind Adam said...

I do that too, expect other people to look like they did when I last saw them. And other people seem to be getting older but I look pretty much the same in the mirror. It's only when I catch sight of myself in a double reflection, maybe a shop window, that I realise I'm getting older too.
A to Z of Nostalgia