Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Friday, May 4, 2012

Let's learn from the doggies

Last nite this story appeared on the Evening News with Diane Sawyer. A two-year-old Golden retriever is blind. Born that way. He's been having seizures his whole life and they are getting worse. They have repeatedly talked about putting him down. He is in a veterinary hospital in Tulsa, OK. Enter a street dog who had been shot as a pop. Street dog cowers when faced with people or other dogs. The two are introduced. Street Dog instinctively knows Golden is blind. She picks up Golden's leash with her teeth and begins leading her around the yard. No cowering here. Golden follows her. They begin to bond and play together. Street Dog becomes Golden's seeing eye dog. Soon, Golden's seizures stop and the two dogs are living happily ever after. When I stopped crying, I asked myself why humans can't learn to behave like these two doggies?

Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Rosalind Adam said...

I almost didn't read this post because I thought it was going to have a sad ending (I'm like that with anything to do with dogs!) Thanks for sharing. It's a beautiful story.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wonderful story! They were made for each other.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

What an amazing story! And with a happy ending, too.

Mama J said...

Lovely story :-)

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

Beautiful story. And, Karen, they do. Not everyone, of course. We've seen the opposite. I've also been witness to unconditional love and generosity. Look for it. It's there.

Play off the Page

Karen Walker said...

Rosalind, I almost turned the story off for the same reason.
Alex, seems like they were
Elizabeth, gotta love happy endings!
Mary, yes, I know, but it's so rare.
Karen

Pk Hrezo said...

Wow. Isn't nature just astounding?? So glad I stopped by here and read this. What a great pick me up. :)

Suze said...

Thanks for posting this, Karen.

welcome to my world of poetry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
welcome to my world of poetry said...

Strange we both thought about dogs today.

Wonderful story, Karen.

Yvonne.

Heather M. Gardner said...

That. Is. Beautiful.

Heather

Karen Walker said...

Pk, yes, nature is astounding. Blows my mind
Suze, you're welcome.
Yvonne, great minds think alike
Heather, yeah, it is.
Karen

Julie said...

I saw this story too and it brought tears to my eyes. So touching to see these dogs together. Have a great weekend, Karen! :)

cleemckenzie said...

Amazing. I'm always so touched by animal stories like this one.

Sharon Lippincott said...

OMG, pass the Kleenex!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Oh my gosh that is amazing! I'd have cried too, and your question is such a good one. I think sometimes people DO do this, but the news doesn't often focus on it. For example, people helped my friend Jenise SO much after her accident. It's true though that it doesn't seem often enough. Thanks for this story - I'm keeping it in mind.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Oh my gosh that is amazing! I'd have cried too, and your question is such a good one. I think sometimes people DO do this, but the news doesn't often focus on it. For example, people helped my friend Jenise SO much after her accident. It's true though that it doesn't seem often enough. Thanks for this story - I'm keeping it in mind.

KarenG said...

What an upbeat nice story, and thanks for sharing it. How very cool, and I can see why it made the news.

Patty said...

For. Reals.


View My Stats