Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, June 1, 2012

Back in the saddle - sort of....

Coming home from vacation gets harder and harder the older I get. I like my routines. I like eating the way I need to eat to maintain my weight and remain healthy. I like my creature comforts. While traveling, I need to let go of these needs. It was so stressful trying to eat the way I normally eat, I finally gave up and   the pendulum swung so far the other way, I ate everything I wanted that I never allow myself. I was lucky - only gained 4.5 pounds and 3.5 of them are gone already. But that's what vacations are for, right? Getting ourselves out of our normal routine and experiencing new and wonderful things.

I will have photos, hopefully by Monday, but for now I want to talk about coming home and getting back into routine. I managed to do everything necessary--laundry, grocery shopping, paying bills, catching up on emails, phone calls, making appointment, etc. But my writing? Oy vay! I sit down with a block of time and---nothing.

I've thought of giving it all up--the writing, the blog, but that doesn't feel right. So I'm waiting, praying, giving myself some space and cutting myself some slack.

Do you love your routines? Do you have a daily routine? What happens if your routine gets disrupted?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

DL Hammons said...

I'm headed to Las Vegas this Sunday for a week (part business - part vacation), so my routines will be tested as well. I'll consider myself lucky if I only gain 4.5 pounds! :)

L.G.Smith said...

I generally like a routine, especially for the writing. But I also pay attention to what I need emotionally. I just took a big break so I could recharge my batteries. We can't just let our whims control us, but sometimes it's good to let go.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My life is anything but routine so it takes a lot to disrupt it. What throws me off more is when my home is invaded. Not so much guests but repairs, the bug guy, etc. That invades my private time!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I'm not good on routines .. I just cope and work around things - probably not the best way to go - but for now it seems to work.

I do love holidays though! Glad you had a good time .. cheers Hilary

Tracy Makara said...

The only real routine that I have and try to keep so that my day feels right is my morning time. For a good hour, I need to have my own space...quiet...coffee, with as few distractions as possible. When I manage to keep that, it allows me to feel as though I am settling into the day. If it gets broken too badly, I feel as though I am scattered and hurried all day. Then again...I also seem to require solitude breaks throughout the day as well. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nothing like eating out all the time to ruin one's diet. I'm a creature of habit. It doesn't take much to rock my boat.
However, I do enjoy indulging in good food once in a while!

Karen Walker said...

DL, good luck - the food in Vegas is sooo good.
LG, yeah, I thought I'd come home with re-charged batteries, raring to go.
Diane, yes, I get that!
Hilary, I go back and forth - I like routine but I get bored so easily I often break it just to change it up.
Tracy, oh yes, we need our solitude don't we?
Alex, indulging once in a while makes life worth while, doesn't it?
Karen

Jennifer Shirk said...

I know. I like my routines too. I like to take a break and go on vacation but I'm usually clamoring to get back to my sense of order. LOL

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I have a routine but as I live alone I can do what I like when I like.
Going away is another matter altogether, different food, different time zones, one wonders whether it's worth going away if you suffer from jet lag.

Yvonne.

Linda Hoye said...

Welcome home, Karen.

I've always liked my routines--almost obsessively at times!

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

A to Z, looking for an apartment and moving, working with clients and a major graduation -- all of it served to put me in the boat you're in. I'm just now starting to row back into routine.
Hang in there, Karen. Soon the ground will meet your feet again and the flow will begin again.

Pearson Report said...

Routine? Is this a new word, I've never heard of it? :)

Well, I confess, I have a routine and I am in a love-hate relationship with it!

Take your time, give yourself all the slack you need - in other words - go ahead, keep us in suspense!! :)

With smiles, Jenny

Talli Roland said...

I love routines, and I tend to fall to bits when my routine goes awry! I'm getting better, but I still find it hard.

Better is Possible said...

Welcome home. My routines begin with the best of intentions but don't last long. Routine is more like random in my world. Glad you're back.

Amanda said...

for me routine is necessary - i need a schedule to be able to write and have to keep deadlines to complete projects. the key is not becoming a slave to routine, but letting it serve you, i think.

Arlee Bird said...

I envy your trip. I like routines, but I do love traveling--perhaps even more. Glad you had a good trip.


Lee
Wrote By Rote