Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday Musings - a teensie bit geeky

Those of you who know me know that I am technologically challenged. Frankly, it scares me. Once I do something over and over, though, and have some degree of comfort, I really enjoy it. I've had a Macbook Pro for years. Love my Mac - but there are so many things it is capable of that I haven't discovered.

And yet, I've been coveting an I Pad. So I went to Apple and played with it. As I thought through what I would use it for and how much I would use it, I began looking at the I Phone instead. While there, a clerk told me the new I Pod Touch does exactly what the I Pad and I phone do, only it's not a phone and it's smaller.

Well, with the I Phone, you have to pay approximately $30 more per month on top of your current cell phone bill. I didn't want to do that. The I Pad would be another huge distraction for me, keeping me from other priorities that I'm not attending to, like WRITING.

So, I purchased an I Pod touch and am so tickled. I've figured out how to do I calendar. I enter my events on the computer and sync it to the I Pod and voila - my calendar gets transported with me. So cool!

I have a hard time allowing myself to purchase something just cause I want it - it used to be I had to need it before I'd get it. Now I'm learning to indulge myself a little bit.

Do you like gadgets and new toys? If so what? And how often to you indulge yourself?

Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I purchased an ITouch for my husband right after they came out and he loves it.

baygirl32 said...

I'm in love with my iPad

Tracy Makara said...

Yay Karen! It's hard getting past the hurdle of getting something just because you want it. I'm still not very good at that...but every once in a great while I will allow myself to do it. Hope you have fun with your I Pod Touch!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, it's a very cool toy.
Baygirl32, everyone I know who has one says the same thing.
Tracy, thanks - let me encourage you to indulge once in a while. It feels great!
Karen

Glynis said...

I never treat myself. I have a darling DH who tends to notice what I could do with and buys it for me. For Christmas he bought me a smart phone. I have Kindle on it so if I get bored while out, I can read!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You know I'm all about the geek toys! A new iPad with every upgrade.
You'll enjoy the iTouch. It does a lot of the same things as an iPad, just smaller.

Karen Walker said...

Glynis, DH sounds wonderful.
Alex, yes, I thought of you while writing this post. I'm already loving it.
Karen

Pk Hrezo said...

I'm an iphone user myself and love it. I don't need an iPad cuz my iPhone does enough, and what it doesn't do, I use my laptop for. I do love gadgets, but sometimes it feels like they're always pushing more on us when we don't really need it. And of course, a newer better model always comes out like a year after you buy one anyway. lol

~Sia McKye~ said...

Karen, I'm not particularly geeky either. But I have been looking at both the ipad and itouch.

I'm still thinking.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

So glad that you got yourself something special! I don't do that as often as I'd like, but when I do, I love it. :)

Claudia Moser said...

Oh yes love gadgets and since my husband is also into them we tend to have the latest very fast :) glad you enjoy the purchase!

Karen Walker said...

Pk, yes, the iPhone is pretty magical -
Sia, I've been pondering for weeks
Elizabeth, it's fun, isn't it?
Claudia, my hubs doesn't fancy them so much
Karen

DL Hammons said...

I'm a gadget geek to the max! You name it, I have it. I'm typing this right now on my iPad. I also have an iPhone, iPod, iPod shuffle, etc. etc. I hope to get the newest iPad this holiday season. :)

Karen Walker said...

Oh, DL, wish you lived close by -
Karen

Anonymous said...

I treat myself to massages.
-Simona

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. now you've pointed me in looking at the ipod touch .. I'd like to acquire an ipad - but probably for now that's unnecessary .. so I'll investigate the touch ..

I'm sort of geeky - but need some help to sort my tech mess out leaving me with a clean slate to progress!

Cheers Hilary