Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday:America's Southwest via Karen and hubs

I grew up in Queens, one of the five boroughs of New York City. Concrete sidewalks, brick and concrete buildings, and a few trees here and there. Lots of cars. Lots of people. I moved from NY in 1985 to Portland, Oregon and the beauty took my breath away. I came to Albuquerque in 1994, and soon understood why New Mexico is called the Land of Enchantment. But it wasn't until I married hubby that I began to travel. He introduced me to nature in a whole new way by taking me to the national parks, one by one.

On this trip we began in Moab, Utah where we visited Bryce Canyon, Arches, Zion, and Canyonlands. I'd been to Bryce and Canyonlands before, but Zion was new to me. Words can't describe it and pictures can't capture it, but here goes anyway.

One of the many arches in Arches

Landscape Arch in Arches

Arches

Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon
Canyonland

Zion

Zion

Zion

Zion

Zion

One of the best things about the trip for me is that I was able to physically do the hiking I wanted to do, despite a knee with no cartilage left. It swelled and hurt, but with Alleve and ice, I managed to do everything I wanted and enjoyed it so much.

It's very odd that in my 20's, 30's, 40s and 50's, I was extremely overweight and out of shape and couldn't physically do these things. Now, at 63, I'm in the best shape of my life. Weird, huh?

More Friday...Tomorrow's Insecure Writers Support Group day
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been there - your photos still capture it fairly well.
While I've never been out of shape, I feel I'm stronger and healthier now than when I was younger.

Suze said...

Fantastic photographs. It looks like it was such a wonderful trip, Karen!

Talli Roland said...

Oh, gorgeous! Looks like a fantastic trip, Karen!

Donna B. McNicol said...

The southwest is one of my favorite places...I fell in love with it during my solo motorcycle tours (the year after my husband died). My current husband and I have hit a few and hope to do more next summer and the following winter.

Life is good!

Tracy Makara said...

Karen, the photos are breathtaking! I've never been out West and have always wanted to. Now your beautiful photos have re-inspired me.

So glad that you were able to get out there and do everything you wanted to do. That's really great!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, I can't even imagine never having been out of shape.You're lucky.
Suze, it was wonderful on many levels.
Talli, it's a very beautiful country
Donna, do it!!
Tracy, hope you get to do it one day. It's very special.
Karen

Jenn June said...

Great photos! It looks like you had a lot of fun. I would love to explore all the national parks.

Donna Shields said...

Those are breathtaking.

Jen Chandler said...

Hi Karen!

Gorgeous photos! I've never been to the parks out west but they look beautiful :)

So glad you were able to get out there and do all the hiking. It really makes a trip more memorable when you can get into a place and explore it rather than just looking at it from afar.

All the best,
Jen

Claudia Moser said...

Great shots, pure delight!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, those are beautiful! I've always wanted to see Bryce Canyon. I still have my father's old B&W negatives of his trip when he was younger.

L.G.Smith said...

Some of my favorite places to visit. Zion truly is magical.

And, hey, I'm heading to the Grand Canyon next week!

Karen Walker said...

Jenn, they are worth exploring, for sure.
Donna, yes, it is breathtaking
Jen,hope you get there someday.
Claudia, thanks
Diane, hope you can one day - it's very special
L.G., ooh, wonderful
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

Great photos. While I've been to Utah, I've never made it to any of those parks. Someday I really need to go there.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

baygirl32 said...

great photos :)