Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Angel Sometimes

Isn't that a great title? From the title to the first line right up until the story ended, I was mesmerized by Helen Ginger's Angel Sometimes.

I knew Helen wrote technical books. I knew Helen has been writing a newsletter about writing for 10+ years. I knew Helen is a fabulous editor because she was kind enough to edit the first 50 pages of my work in progress. What I didn't know was that Helen is a great novelist.

Here's the way I judge a good book. Does it have a compelling main character--one I care what happens to? Does it have a storyline that makes me want to keep turning the page to find out what happens next? If I put it down in the midst of reading, do I forget about it, or do the characters stay with me; in other words, have they become real?

Angel Sometimes does all those things. Angel finds herself homeless at only 12, but we meet her in her early twenties. Helen's exquisite use of flashbacks to get Angel's backstory help us understand what makes Angel tick.

I know I've read a great book when, after I read the last line, I turn the page for more. Do yourselves a favor and get this book. Here's the link to Helen's blog: http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/.

Until tomorrow....
Blessings,
Karen

7 comments:

Ann Best said...

I've followed Helen off and on, Karen, and have been impressed with her writing credentials. Your own writing is YOUR credentials in anyone's behalf; and thus because of this as well as the brief review you just posted here in Helen's behalf, I have no doubt that she has written an excellent novel. I'm about to follow the link to her blog! I've also written down the steps you follow in judging a book. Perfect! This will help me as I need to write a review today on a book I just read. So glad I had a peaceful space right now to check out a few of my favorite bloggers to see what they're up to. Have a blessed Sabbath, my friend!!

Claudia Moser said...

Thank you for the recomandation! So many wonderful books out there!

Suze said...

A lovely nod to a book with a very nice title, Karen.

Characters with heart beating at the center of a story does make for beautiful engagement.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I did download it and hope to read it soon.

Jacqueline Howett said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds good and yes it does have a neat title.

Have a great week Karen!

Helen Ginger said...

Hi Karen. Thank you so much for the mention and the review. I like your list of what you look for in a book. I may steal that idea from you since I have not outline when I start reviewing!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - what a great review .. and after that recommendation I'll definitely be buying it -

Cheers to you both .. love Helen's blog - Hilary