Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Musings: Crazy busy singing week

I have been so lax with posts and visiting everyone that I feel guilty, so this week, despite three gigs and rehearsals on the days when we're not performing, I am going to try to keep up with my blogging.

Trying to grow a musical talent when you are in your 60s is no easy feat, let me tell you. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not preparing for Carnegie Hall. Our audience doesn't pay to see us and they are quite forgiving. And they seem to enjoy us.

But, I am someone who likes to put my best foot forward with anything I do, be it writing, singing, dancing, guitar, or being a wife or friend. I don't always measure up to my own standards.

Take singing. I started taking lessons in 2006--that's six years ago. And I still have pitch problems. I am beginning to suspect I always will. At first it was from fear. Or rather, terror. Now it's improper breathing. Like any craft, there are techniques to help one with these issues. I am practicing them, but I'm not where I want to be yet. I'm so afraid I'm going to run out of steam before I get to be who I want to be.

Anyone else worried?

Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It sounds like everyone you're performing for thinks you're doing a wonderful job, Karen! But yes, there's always something else to learn, isn't there? I feel that way whenever I read a book that is really top-notch.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, I know. It can become difficult to know what one is capable of, what one can aspire to realistically, and when one just has to suck it up and admit it's as good as it's going to get.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We spend our whole life trying to be that person we want to be. We'll never arrive, but we will get much, much better.

We have several Karaoke games and I've discovered I have pretty good pitch. I sound like a screaming cat, but I can make that little arrow cling to the line!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'd love to hear you sing! Your energy amazes me.

Tonja said...

That's great that you're taking lessons and performing.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, I doubt you sound like a screaming cat, but how lucky that you have good pitch. It's amazing how littlest takes to pull off pitch just a little. And when you're singing harmony, just a little ruins it.
Jennifer, I wish you could, too.
Tonja, it's a blast!
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Sigh. I woke up with this thought in my head this morning: I'm too old to say "someday" anymore.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Nope, not worried a bit. I don't think any of us ever fully live up to the high expectations we set for ourselves, but I consider that a good thing. Striving towards something, and working to develop one's talents and abilities is my definition of living life to the fullest, and it sure beats the heck out of sitting on the sidelines just watching life go by. I hope never to be so self-satisfied that I'm content with who I am today. Far better to keep trekking along the road to self-improvement.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a perfectionist, so it bothers me to fall short.

Karen Walker said...

Susan, you're a lucky lady with that attitude.
Alex, sigh! perfectionism is a tough one.
Karen

Nick Wilford said...

I'm agreeing with what Susan said. If we reached the point where we thought we had everything down perfect, where would we go next? Just keep working, keep striving and remember to enjoy it, though there's nothing wrong with setting high standards for yourself.

Teresa Coltrin@Journaling Woman said...

Only think about keeping on with the dream and not being perfect. I've never met anyone that was perfect in their craft or life, not one.

Teresa

Arlee Bird said...

I think you are balancing things in your life rather nicely. Writing and singing are different enough to provide that and I think it's great that you are doing this.

I'm always a tad bit worried, but not to the extreme.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Charmaine Clancy said...

As long as you're enjoying the singing and your audience is enjoying the show - then it all sounds good to me :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I bet you will do wonderfully...

My daughter wants to have voice lessons, as they are doing a musical in the spring at her high school.

Luna said...

My yoga teacher tells us "Who you imagine you want yourself to be, you already are."

Your talent is a gift and it makes you happy and brings people joy. Sing out loud and try not to let the critic in you make you doubt yourself.

Luna