Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Musings: the joy of live music

Practically everything these days is electronic. TV, computers, I pads, I pods, cell phones, digital music,  well, you get the idea. Sunday, we hosted a house concert for my singing group, Sugartime. We are not musicians, so we sing to music tracks. But this year we had a surprise for our family and friends. A few months ago, we sang at a house party and there were a group of musicians there, The Lost Howlin' Coyotes. They play bluegrass music, a genre we knew little about. They were fabulous. They loved us and we loved them, so we decided to collaborate. Hence, their appearance at our house concert.

What a joy it was to have a guitar, violin, banjo, mandolin and base fiddle, plus voices in beautiful harmony, singing in our home. The house was just filled with music and voices lifted up in song and I felt as if I were in heaven. I pluck away at my guitar and can play a few tunes on the piano, but this--this was a whole different level and I loved it.

I'm thinking of starting Sunday Soirees - not every Sunday, but once in awhile, just to fill the house with music again.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Oh, that sounds amazing, Karen. I love collaborating with other musicians! I used to play in a gypsy orchestra and we would often do improv. What a great feeling!

Suze said...

Sounds to me like you're breaking through on a few fronts with joy, Karen.

Something good is happening on more than one level, knowing your music is tied to your writing in ways that are tough to sum up. This seems highly symbolic, somehow.

(And I love Talli's term, 'gypsy orchestra.')

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

How fun! I enjoy jamming on my guitar by myself, but it's more fun when I get with other musicians and we form a whole band.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh how very cool! I just love live bands. My friend plays drums and is not in a band but loves to get together with other musicians every few weeks to just jam and have fun.

Karen Walker said...

Talli, what's a gypsy orchestra?
Suze, there is definitely some breaking thru happening in terms of letting go on deeper and deeper levels
Alex, would love to hear you play sometime
Jennifer, I can see why musicians would love to do that.
Karen

~Sia McKye~ said...

I love music! You can have my TV but by god, don't touch my music.

I think this was a perfect Sunday. I love singing with a band of musicians.It's a joy. Glad you had a chance to do it this Sunday.

Hey, once a month Soirees would be fun to have. Can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday than making music!

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That sounds wonderful! You should make it a once a month event.

Rose Munevar said...

Wow- wish I could have heard that! Nice to meet you!

Karen Walker said...

Sia and Diane, yeah, I am seriously considering it only don't think we could pull it off once a month
Rose, thanks so much

Glynis said...

How wonderful! To bring your home alive with 'real' music. I do hope you start a regular session. Enjoy!

Carol Kilgore said...

Sounds fun! I took piano for years, but I'm mediocre on a good day.

Tracy Moore said...

How cool! That sounds like a blast. It would be wonderful if you could all work together again. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. oooohhh I wish I lived round the corner and I'd be over - sounds such fun ... SO MUCH FUN! Happy Sunday Soirees ... Hilary